This research guide focuses on resources covering a number of topics in Communications Law, including: radio, television, wire, satellite, cable, and the Internet. For additional information, please consult the law library's related research guides: Intellectual Property, Federal Administrative Law
Research, Reference & Dictionaries:
- A Dictionary of the Internet, Darrel Ince (Oxford Reference Database).
- A Dictionary of Media and Communication, Daniel Chandler and Rod Munday (Oxford Reference Database).
- Internet and the Law: Technology, Society, and Compromises, Aaron Schwabach. Reference KF 390.5 .C6 S358. First edition (2006) available as an e-book.
- Media Law Dictionary, John Murray. KF 2750 .A6 M87.
- Newton's Telecom Dictionary, Harry Newton. TK 5102 .N49.
- Official Telecommunications Dictionary: Legal and Regulatory Definitions, Thomas F.P. Sullivan. KF 2763.6 .O43.
- Oxford Dictionary of Computing, John Daintith and Edmund Wright (Oxford Reference Database).
This list reflects a substantial number of the Law Library's current treatises. For additional works held by George Mason University libraries in print or digital formats, search the Mason Library Catalog. Useful subject headings include: Telecommunication--Law and legislation, Television--Law and legislation, Radio--Law and legislation, Mass media--Law and legislation, and Internet--Law and legislation.
- Communications Law and Practice, Stuart N. Brotman (Lexis; Mason Law users only).
- Communication Law in America, Paul Siegel. KF2750 .S53.
- Communications Law in the Digital Age (Course Handbook), Bruce P. Keller et. al. (Practising Law Institute Discover Plus).
- Electronic Media Law and Regulation, Kenneth C. Creech, KF2805 .C74.
- Law of Journalism and Mass Communication, Robert Trager, et al., KF2750 .T73 2016.
- Law of Public Communication, Kent R. Middleton & William E. Lee, KF2750 .M53 2016.
- Legal Guide to Broadcast Law and Regulation, Jean W. Bend et al. KF 2805 N 33.
- Mass Communication Law in a Nutshell, Carter, et al., RESERVE KF2750 .Z9 M37 (also available on West Study Aids; Mason Law users only).
- Mass Media Law: A Survey of Content and Culture, Michael M. Epstein. KF2750 .E67 2015.
- Modern Communications Law (West Hornbook), Zuckerman et. al. (West Study Aids; Mason Law users only).
- Modern Communications Law (3 vol.), Zuckman, et al. KF2756 .M63 (last updated by the publisher in 2007).
- Digital Communications Law, Henry H. Perritt, Jr. KF2765 .P472.
- Law of Computer Technology, Raymond T. Nimmer (Westlaw; Mason Law users only).
- Scott on Multimedia Law, Michael D. Scott (Westlaw; Mason Law users only).
- Cable and Broadband
- All About Cable and Broadband, James C. Goodale and Rob Frieden (Lexis; Mason Law users only).
- Broadband and Cable Industry Law (Course Handbook), Howard J. Symons and Tara M. Corvo (Practising Law Institute Discover Plus).
- Cable Television and Other Non Broadcast Video: Law & Policy, David L. Brenner et. al. (Westlaw; Mason Law users only).
- Global Internet Law (West Hornbook), Michael L. Rustad, K 564.C6 R87 (also available on West Study Aids, Mason Law users only).
- Internet and Online Law, Ken D. Stuckey (on Lexis; Mason law users only).
- Internet and Technology Law Desk Reference, Michael D. Scott (Westlaw, Mason Law users only).
- Internet Law & Practice, Joseph B. Fazio (Westlaw, Mason Law users only).
- Internet Law for the Business Lawyer, Juliet M. Moringiello, KF 390.5 C6 B76.
- Law of the Internet, George B. Delta & Jeffery H. Matsuura. KF390.5 .C6 D452 (also on Westlaw; Mason Law users only).
- Social Media
- McGrady on Social Media, Paul D. McGrady Jr. (Westlaw; Mason Law users only).
- Social Media and the Law, Kathryn L. Ossian (online via Practising Law Institute Discover Plus).
- Digital Crossroads: Telecommunications Law and Policy in the Internet Age, Jonathan E. Nuechterlein and Philip J. Weiser, HE 7781 .N84.
- Federal Telecommunications Law, Huber, et al. KF 2765 .K452 (also on Westlaw; Mason Law users only).
- Telecommunications Answer Book, Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP (online via Practising Law Institute Discover Plus).
- Telecom Antitrust Handbook, KF 2765 .T46.
- Telecommunications Regulation: Cable, Broadcasting, Satellite, and the Internet, Ferris & Lloyd (Lexis; Mason Law users only).
- Subject specialty law journals:
- CommLaw Conspectus: Journal of Communications Law and Policy (1993-).
- Communications Lawyer (1983-).
- Federal Communications Law Journal (continues Federal Communications Bar Journal, 1937-).
- First Amendment Law Review (2003-).
- Hastings Communications and Entertainment Law Journal (Comm/Ent) (1977-).
- I/S: A Journal of Law and Policy for the Information Society (2004-).
- Journal of International Media & Entertainment Law (2006-).
- Journal of Media Law and Ethics (2009-).
- Journal on Telecommunications & High Technology Law (2002-).
- Media Law & Policy (vol. 3, 1994-).
- Michigan Telecommunications and Technology Law Review (1994-).
- News Media & the Law (1977-).
- Washington Journal of Law, Technology & Arts (2004-).
- Yale Journal on Regulation (1983-).
- HeinOnline has the complete run of many communication law journals in PDF format, and the database is searchable (type Boolean connectors in all capital letters).
- Index to Legal Periodicals and Books indexes legal periodicals and books from 1908 to 1981.
- Communication & Mass Media Complete is an index to non-law literature in communications and mass media.
Bloomberg BNA Resources:
- Telecommunications Law Resource Center
- Includes Pike & Fisher Communications Regulations (Print edition is no longer updated)
- Internet Law Resource Center
- Media Law Reporter
- World Communications Regulation Report
The Library subscribes to BNA-All electronic databases. Please see that full list for additional databases.
Legislation & Legislative History:
- CQ Press Library - search for information about politics and Congress in many CQ Press publications.
- Congress.gov - stay abreast of current legislation as it moves through Congress, or see legislative information for bills since 1973.
- ProQuest Legislative Insight - to search for compiled legislative histories that include all documents, full text, in PDF format.
- ProQuest Congressional - search for congressional documents since 1776 by title, number, keyword, and more. Documents available in PDF format.
FCC adjudicative decisions, Reports & Orders (R&O), and Memorandum Opinion & Orders (MO&O) are printed in the FCC Record and its predecessor the FCC Reports. A brief description of these documents is available in the three-page guide: Sara Kelley Burriesci, Introduction to Federal Communications Law Sources, 53(4) Law Library Lights 21 (2010).
- BNA's Telecommunications Law Resource Center, 1986 to present (PDF)
- LLMC Digital, 1986 to present (PDF)
- FCC Record in print 1986 to present, 1st Floor, Row 114, near Reference Office.
- Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
- National Telecommunications & Information Administration (NTIA) (U.S. Dept. of Commerce)
- International Telecommunications Union (ITU)
- Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)
- World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
Other Useful Websites:
- ABA Forum on Communications Law
- Berkman Center for Internet & Society
- Pew Research Internet Project
- Telecommunications Industry Association
- Gartner a daily resource for news and in-depth analysis on virtually all aspects of technology
- Proquest Telecommunications provides full-text journal articles covering areas of : telecommunications, computer applications, data communication, data transmission systems, electronic data processing, information science and theory, radio and television, and wireless communication.
Last updated July 15, 2015