This research guide focuses on resources covering a number of topics in Communications Law, including: radio, television, wire, satellite, cable, and the Internet. For additional information, please consult the law library's related research guides: Intellectual Property, Federal Administrative Law
Research, Reference & Dictionaries:
- A Dictionary of the Internet, by Darrel Ince (Oxford Reference Database).
- A Dictionary of Media and Communication, by Daniel Chandler and Rod Munday (Oxford Reference Database).
- Internet and the Law: Technology, Society, and Compromises, 2d ed., by Aaron Schwabach. (A single volume encyclopedia.) Reference KF 390.5 .C6 S358. First edition (2006) available as an e-book.
- Media Law Dictionary, by John Murray. KF 2750 .A6 M87.
- Newton's Telecom Dictionary, by Harry Newton. TK 5102 .N49.
- Official Telecommunications Dictionary: Legal and Regulatory Definitions, by Thomas F.P. Sullivan. KF 2763.6 .O43.
- Oxford Dictionary of Computing, by John Daintith and Edmund Wright (Oxford Reference Database).
This list reflects a substantial number of the Law Library's current treatises. For additional works held by GMU libraries in print or digital formats, search the GMU Library Catalog. Useful subject headings include: Telecommunication--Law and legislation, Television--Law and legislation, Radio--Law and legislation, Mass media--Law and legislation, and Internet--Law and legislation.
- Communications Law and Practice, by Stuart N. Brotman (Lexis; GMUSL only).
- Communication Law in America, by Paul Siegel. KF2750 .S53.
- Communications Law in the Digital Age (Course Handbook), by Bruce P. Keller et. al. (Practising Law Institute Discover Plus).
- Electronic Media Law and Regulation, by Kenneth C. Creech, KF2805 .C74.
- Law of Journalism and Mass Communication, by Robert Trager, et al., KF2750 .T73.
- Mass Communication Law in a Nutshell, by Carter, et al., RESERVE KF2750 .Z9 M37 (also available on West Study Aids; GMUSL only).
- Modern Communications Law (West Hornbook), by Zuckerman et. al. (West Study Aids; GMUSL only).
- Modern Communications Law (3 vol.), by Zuckman, et al. KF2756 .M63 (last updated by the publisher in 2007).
- Digital Communications Law, by Henry H. Perritt, Jr. KF2765 .P472.
- Law of Computer Technology, by Raymond T. Nimmer (Westlaw; GMUSL only).
- Scott on Multimedia Law, by Michael D. Scott (Westlaw; GMUSL only).
- Cable and Broadband
- All About Cable and Broadband, by James C. Goodale and Rob Frieden (Lexis; GMUSL only).
- Broadband and Cable Industry Law (Course Handbook), by Howard J. Symons and Tara M. Corvo (Practising Law Institute Discover Plus).
- Cable Television and Other Non Broadcast Video: Law & Policy, by David L. Brenner et. al. ( Westlaw; GMUSL only).
- Global Internet Law (West Hornbook), by Michael L. Rustad, K 564.C6 R87 (also available on West Study Aids, GMUSL only).
- Internet and Online Law, by Ken D. Stuckey (on Lexis; GMUSL only).
- Internet and Technology Law Desk Reference, by Michael D. Scott (Westlaw, GMUSL only).
- Internet Law & Practice, by Joseph B. Fazio ( Westlaw, GMUSL only).
- Internet Law for the Business Lawyer, Juliet M. Moringiello, KF 390.5 C6 B76.
- Law of the Internet, by George B. Delta & Jeffery H. Matsuura. KF390.5 .C6 D452 (also on Westlaw; GMUSL only).
- Social Media
- McGrady on Social Media, by Paul D. McGrady Jr. (Westlaw; GMUSL only).
- Social Media and the Law, by Kathryn L. Ossian (online via Practising Law Institute Discover Plus).
- Digital Crossroads: Telecommunications Law and Policy in the Internet Age, by Jonathan E. Nuechterlein and Philip J. Weiser, HE 7781 .N84.
- Federal Telecommunications Law, 2d ed., by Huber, et al. KF 2765 .K452 (also on Westlaw; GMUSL only).
- Telecommunications Answer Book, by Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP (online via Practising Law Institute Discover Plus).
- Telecom Antitrust Handbook, 2d ed. KF 2765 .T46.
- Telecommunications Regulation: Cable, Broadcasting, Satellite, and the Internet, by Ferris & Lloyd (Lexis; GMUSL only).
- Subject specialty law journals:
- CommLaw Conspectus: Journal of Communications Law and Policy (1993-).
- Communications Lawyer (1983-).
- Federal Communications Law Journal (continues Federal Communications Bar Journal, 1937-).
- First Amendment Law Review (2003-).
- Hastings Communications and Entertainment Law Journal (Comm/Ent) (1977-).
- I/S: A Journal of Law and Policy for the Information Society (2004-).
- Journal of International Media & Entertainment Law (2006-).
- Journal of Media Law and Ethics (2009-).
- Journal on Telecommunications & High Technology Law (2002-).
- Media Law & Policy (vol. 3, 1994-).
- Michigan Telecommunications and Technology Law Review (1994-).
- News Media & the Law (1977-).
- Washington Journal of Law, Technology & Arts (2004-).
- Yale Journal on Regulation (1983-).
- HeinOnline has the complete run of many communication law journals in PDF format, and the database is searchable (type Boolean connectors in all capital letters).
- Index to Legal Periodicals and Books indexes legal periodicals and books from 1908, and includes full-text access for many recent articles.
- Communication & Mass Media Complete is an index to non-law literature in communications and mass media.
Bloomberg BNA Resources:
- Telecommunications Law Resource Center
- Includes Pike & Fisher Communications Regulations (Print edition is no longer updated)
- Internet Law Resource Center
- Media Law Reporter
- World Communications Regulation Report
The Library subscribes to BNA-All electronic databases. Please see that full list for additional databases.
Legislation & Legislative History:
- CQ Press Library - search for information about politics and Congress in many CQ Press publications.
- Congress.gov - stay abreast of current legislation as it moves through Congress, or see legislative information for bills since 1973.
- ProQuest Legislative Insight - to search for compiled legislative histories that include all documents, full text, in PDF format.
- ProQuest Congressional - search for congressional documents since 1776 by title, number, keyword, and more. Documents available in PDF format.
FCC adjudicative decisions, Reports & Orders (R&O), and Memorandum Opinion & Orders (MO&O) are printed in the FCC Record and its predecessor the FCC Reports. A brief description of these documents is available in the three-page guide: Sara Kelley Burriesci, Introduction to Federal Communications Law Sources, 53(4) Law Library Lights 21 (2010).
- BNA's Telecommunications Law Resource Center, 1986 to present (PDF)
- LLMC Digital, 1986 to present (PDF)
- FCC Record in print 1986 to present, 1st Floor, Row 114, near Reference Office.
- Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
- National Telecommunications & Information Administration (NTIA) (U.S. Dept. of Commerce)
- International Telecommunications Union (ITU)
- Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)
- World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
Other Useful Websites:
- ABA Forum on Communications Law
- Berkman Center for Internet & Society
- Pew Research Internet Project
- Telecommunications Industry Association
- Gartner a daily resource for news and in-depth analysis on virtually all aspects of technology
- Proquest Telecommunications provides full-text journal articles covering areas of : telecommunications, computer applications, data communication, data transmission systems, electronic data processing, information science and theory, radio and television, and wireless communication.
Last updated October 2, 2014