This guide highlights resources useful for legal issues related to small and unincorporated business entities. Please consult the Law Library’s other guides for resources on related topics. Please also see the University's list of databases on Business and Finance.
Reference Sources In Print:
- Business Torts: A Fifty State Guide, by Morton F. Daller, ed. REFERENCE KF1301. A2.
- McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Business Acronyms, Initials and Acronyms, by Jerry M. Rosenberg. RESERVE HF1002.5 .D53 1991.
- Dictionary of Business Terms, by Jack P. Friedman. REFERENCE HF1001 .F78 2007.
- Encyclopedia of Associations, by Frederick G. Ruffner and Margaret Fisk. REFERENCE AS22 .E5. Also available online at Associations Unlimited (see description below).
Treatises and Other Books:
Some examples follow; for other publications search the GMU Library Catalog.
- Advising the Small Business: Forms and Advice for the Legal Practitioner, by Jean L. Bateman. REFERENCE KF1659 .B38 2007.
- Agency, Partnership, and the LLC in a Nutshell, by J. Dennis Hynes and Mark J. Loewenstein. KF1375 .Z9 H95 2012. Online in West Study Aids Subscription (Mason Law users only).
- Bromberg and Ribstein on Limited Liability Partnerships, the Revised Uniform Partnership Act, and the Uniform Limited Partnership Act (2001), by Christine Hurt, D. Gordon Smith, Alan R. Bromberg, and Larry E. Ribstein. KF1380 .A15 B76 2015.
- Drafting LLC and Partnership Operating Agreements, by Joseph W. Boucher. KF1380 .B68 2011. Also available on Bloomberg Law.
- Emerging Companies Guide: A Resource for Professionals and Entrepreneurs, Robert L. Brown and Alan S. Gutterman, eds. KF1355 .E46 2011.
- Fundamentals of Franchising, Rupert L. Barkoff and Andrew C. Selden, eds. KF2023 .F86 2008.
- The Law of Agency and Partnership, by William A. Gregory. RESERVE KF1345 .R48 2001.
- Limited Liability Company Handbook: Law, Sample Documents, Forms, by Mark A. Sargent and Clark Callaghan. KF1380 .A9 L5 2014-2015. Also available on Westlaw (Mason Law users only).
- Limited Liability Companies: Law, Practice and Forms, by Nicholas Karambelas. KF1380 .Z95 L529. Also available on Westlaw (Mason Law users only).
- Limited Liability Companies: Tax and Business Law, by Carter G. Bishop and Daniel S. Kleinberger. KF1380 .Z95. Also available on Westlaw (Mason Law users only).
- O'Neal and Thompson's Close Corporations and LLCs: Law and Practice, by F. Hodge O’Neal and Robert B. Thompson. KF1466 .O52. Also available on Westlaw (Mason Law users only).
- Partnership Law and Practice: General and Limited Partnerships, by J. William Callison and Maureen A. Sullivan. KF1375 .P37 2014. Also available on Westlaw (Mason Law users only).
- Partnership Law for Securities Practitioners, by John C. Ale. KF1375 .Z9 P37 2014-2015. Also available on Westlaw (Mason Law users only).
- Privacy and Data Protection in Business: Laws & Practice, by Jonathan I. Ezor. KF1357.5 .E96 2012.
- Ribstein and Keatinge on Limited Liability Companies, by Larry E. Ribstein and Robert R. Keatinge. RESERVE KF1380 .R54. Also available on Westlaw (Mason Law users only).
- The Rise of the Uncorporation, by Larry E. Ribstein. KF1361 R53 2010.
Many titles intended for non-lawyers have forms that may also be useful to lawyers and law students. Many of these books are published by Nolo.com formerly Nolo Press. They are located in the Reference Section on the First Floor, Ranges 112-113. Older editions are on the third floor and can be checked out. They often have CDs available at the Circulation Desk. Some are available electronically through the GMU Library Catalog. Examples include:
- The Complete Guide to Buying a Business, by Fred Steingold. REFERENCE KF1355 .S74 2011.
- Deduct It! Lower Your Small Business Taxes, by Stephen Fishman. REFERENCE KF6491 .F57 2014. Also available online.
- The Employer's Legal Handbook, by Fred Steingold. REFERENCE KF3455 .S737 2013. Also available online.
- Form Your Own Limited Liability Company, by Anthony Mancuso. REFERENCE KF1380 .N36 2013. Also available online.
- Legal Forms for Starting & Running a Small Business, by Fred Steingold. REFERENCE KF1659 .A65 S7 2012. Also available online.
- Tax Savvy for Small Business, by Frederick W. Daily and Jeffrey A. Quinn. REFERENCE KF6491 D35 2014. Also available online.
Mason Online Resources:
- ABI-Inform Complete Features full-text journals, dissertations, working papers, key business and economics periodicals such as the Economist, country-and industry-focused reports, and downloadable data.
- Associations Unlimited Combines data from the Encyclopedia of Associations with IRS information about nonprofit associations, including association materials like brochures, logos, and membership applications.
- Bloomberg Law Provides access to Dockets, Company/Market Info, News, Legislative Watch, Regulatory Watch, DealMaker and Bloomberg Law Reports. (Mason Law and onsite users only; please see a reference librarian for assistance accessing this database).
- BNA Provides numerous law-related databases on topics such as accounting, commerce, intellectual property, tax and workplace law.
- Business Source Complete (EBSCO) Comprehensive coverage of scholarly journals for business topics such as management, marketing, human resources, management information systems, production operations management, accounting, finance, and economics. Includes author profiles, Financial Data, Books, Major Reference Works, Book Digests, Conference Proceedings, Case Studies, Company Profiles, SWOT Analyses, Investment Research Reports, Industry Reports, Market Research Reports, Datamonitor, and Country Reports.
- Checkpoint (Thomson Reuters) Contains a substantial collection of federal and state tax materials, including legislation, IRS materials, cases, and journals.
- Doing Business This website, sponsored by the International Financial Corporation and the World Bank, provides data, ratings, reports, research, and laws, as well as objective measures of business regulations for local firms in 189 economies and selected cities at the subnational level.
- Factiva Search for company by name, then choose from company results in left panel. Factiva contains company information and data, as well as international business and news coverage from from more than 8,000 sources, including newspapers, newswires, magazines, trade journals, radio and TV transcripts, and websites.
- Gale Directory Library Cross-searches Gale directories of companies, publishers, associations, and more.
- Hoover's Company Profiles Information about more than 40,000 public and non-public companies and 225,000 key executives. (Also available on Lexis Advance to Mason Law users only).
- Mergent Horizon Detailed information about companies actively traded on the NYSE, AMEX and NASDAQ.
- Mergent Intellect Provides business data and reports, industry news and profiles, executive contact information, plus nationwide residential white pages search.
- Mergent Online Provides information about private and public companies, including their SEC filings and current and historical annual reports. Also provides news, industry reports, and competitive intelligence. (For private companies click the "D&B Private Company Database" box.)
- ProQuest Historical Annual Reports Annual Reports (1844-current) available for over 800 companies
- Reference USA Provides data on more than 24 million U.S. businesses and 1.5 million Canadian businesses.
- Regional Business News (EBSCO) Full-text access to business journals, newspapers, and newswires covering all U.S. metropolitan and rural areas; complements Business Source Complete database, above.
Bloomberg, Lexis, and Westlaw (Mason Law Users Only):
Bloomberg Law. BLAW maintains a large collection of treatises from many publishers such as ABA, Bloomberg BNA, and Practising Law Institute. Browse for relevant or known titles, such as these ABA titles: Business Torts Litigation, Negotiating Business Acquisitions, and The ABCs of the UCC. (Mason Law and onsite users only).
Lexis Advance. The relevant "Practice Areas & Topics" is Business & Corporate Law. Browse or search for relevant materials. Secondary sources include: Business Organizations and Tax Planning (Matthew Bender), Business Law Monographs, Business Torts, Business Transactions LexisNexis Forms, Drafting Partnership and LLC Agreements: Tax Provisions, General Business Emerging Issues, Hoover's Company and Industry Reports, and Labor & Employment Law materials.
WestlawNext. The relevant Westlaw topic is Corporations. There are many relevant secondary sources available, including: Advising Small Businesses, Business Franchise Guide, Choice of Business Entity, Limited Liability Companies: Law, Practice and Forms, Partnership Law and Practice: General and Limited Partnerships, and Whitmore, Nelson, McKee, Kuller, Hallmark & Garcia: Structuring & Drafting Partnership Agreements - Including LLCs.
These and other business law-related journals are available in both print (bound journals on the third floor in compact shelving, newer issues on the first floor) and electronically (usually in PDF) and are found in HeinOnline and other databases.
- American Business Law Journal, K1 .M612. Also available online.
- Columbia Business Law Review, K3 .O577. Also available online.
- DePaul Business & Commercial Law Journal, K4 .E6. Also available online.
- Journal of Business Law, K10 .O316. Also available online.
- Journal of Legal Studies in Business, K10 .O43955. Also available on the publisher's website.
- Stanford Journal of Law, Business & Finance, K23 .T29. Also available online.
- University of Miami Business Law Review, K25 .N8279. Also available online.
Use the E-Journal Finder to locate other journals by title or keyword in our online collections.
U.S. Government Internet Resources:
- Department of Labor: Small Business Resource Center
- Environmental Protection Agency: Small Business Gateway
- Federal Business Opportunities
- Internal Revenue Service: Small Business and Self Employed Tax Center
- Office of the U.S. Trade Representative: Resource Center for Small Business
- Securities and Exchange Commission: Information for Small Business
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Resources: Small Business Program
- U.S. Small Business Administration
Most Virginia materials are on the second floor in Range 228. A second copy of commonly used Virginia resources, such as Michie's Jurisprudence and the Code of Virginia, are also available on the first floor in Range 101. A few very popular resources are on Reserve. Please ask for assistance at the Circulation desk. These titles include:
- Business Entities (Vol. 10 of the Virginia Practice Series). RESERVE KFV2480 .V5 .V10. Also available on Westlaw (Mason Law users only).
- Corporations and Partnerships in Virginia, by Herman A. Marshall III. RESERVE KFV 2613 .C672.
- Limited Liability Companies in Virginia, Allan G. Donn, ed. RESERVE KFV2607.5 .L5622.
- LLCs: Planning and Drafting Issues. RESERVE KFV2613 .I59 2007. (Virginia CLE Publication)
- LLCs: Forming, Operating, and Dissolving the Entity. RESERVE KFV2613 .I59 2008. (Virginia CLE Publication)
For general information about Virginia Legal Resources, see our Virginia Legal Materials Research Guide.
Last edited September 25, 2015.