This guide highlights resources useful for legal issues related to small and unincorporated business entities. Please consult the Law Library’s other guides for resources on related topics. Please also see the University's list of databases of Business and International Commerce.
Reference Sources In Print:
- Business Torts: A Fifty State Guide REFERENCE KF1301. A2.
- Dictionary of Business Acronyms REFERENCE HF1002.5 .D53 1991.
- Dictionary of Business Terms REFERENCE HF1001 .F78 2007.
- Encyclopedia of Associations REFERENCE AS22 .E5 Also available online at Associations Unlimited (see description below).
Treatises and Other Books:
Some examples follow, for other publications search the GMU Library Catalog.
- Advising the Small Business: Forms and Advice for the Legal Practitioner, by Jean L. Bateman. KF1659 .B38 2007.
- Agency, Partnership, and the LLC in a Nutshell, by Hynes & Loewenstein. KF1375 .Z9 H95 2012. Online in West Study Aids Subscription (GMUSL patrons only).
- Bromberg and Ribstein on Limited Liability Partnerships, the Revised Uniform Partnership Act, and the Uniform Limited Partnership Act. KF1380 .A15 B76 2014.
- Drafting LLC Partnership Agreements, by Joseph W. Boucher. KF1380 .B68 2011. Also available on Bloomberg Law.
- Emerging Companies Guide: A Resource for Professionals and Entrepreneurs, eds. Brown & Gutterman. KF1355 .E46 2011.
- Fundamentals of Franchising, eds. Barkoff & Selden. KF2023 .F86 2008.
- The Law of Agency Partnership, by William A. Gregory. RESERVE KF1345 .R48 2001.
- Limited Liability Company Handbook, by Sargent & Schwidetzky. KF1380 .A9 L5 2013-2014. Also available on Westlaw (GMUSL patrons only).
- Limited Liability Companies: Law, Practice and Forms, by Nicholas Karambelas. KF1380 .Z95 L529. Also available on Westlaw (GMUSL patrons only).
- Limited Liability Companies: Tax and Business Law, by Bishop and Kleinberger. KF1380 .Z95. Also available on Westlaw (GMUSL patrons only).
- O'Neal and Thompson's Close Corporations and LLCs: Law and Practice, KF1466 .O52. Also available on Westlaw (GMUSL patrons only).
- Partnership Law and Practice: General and Limited Partnerships, by Callison and Sullivan. KF1375 .P37 2014. Also available on Westlaw (GMUSL patrons only).
- Partnership Law for Securities Practitioners, by John C. Ale. KF1375 .Z9 P37 2014-2015. Also available on Westlaw (GMUSL patrons only).
- Privacy and Data Protection in Business: Laws & Practice, by Jonathan I. Ezor. KF1357.5 .E96 2012.
- Ribstein and Keatinge on Limited Liability Companies, RESERVE KF1380 .R54. Also available on Westlaw (GMUSL patrons only).
- The Rise of the Uncorporation by Larry E. Ribstein. KF1361 R53 2010.
Many titles intended for non-lawyers have forms that are useful to lawyers and law students, too. Many are published by Nolo.com formerly Nolo Press. They are located in the Reference Section on the First Floor, Range 112. Older editions are on the third floor and can be checked out. They often have CDs available at the Circulation Desk. Some are available electronically through the GMU Library Catalog. Examples include:
- The Complete Guide to Buying a Business, by Fred Steingold. REFERENCE KF1355 .S74 2011.
- Deduct It! Lower Your Small Business Taxes, by Stephen Fishman. REFERENCE KF6491 .F57 2014. Also available online.
- The Employer's Legal Handbook, by Fred Steingold. REFERENCE KF3455 .S737 2013. Also available online.
- Form Your Own Limited Liability Company, by Anthony Mancuso. REFERENCE KF1380 .N36 2013. Also available online.
- Legal Forms for Starting & Running a Small Business, by Fred Steingold. REFERENCE KF1659 .A65 S7 2012. Also available online.
- Tax Savvy for Small Business, by Frederick W. Daily. REFERENCE KF6491 D35 2014. Also available online.
GMU Online Resources:
- ABI-Inform Features full-text journals, dissertations, working papers, key business and economics periodicals such as the Economist, country-and industry-focused reports, and downloadable data.
- Associations Unlimited Combines data from the Encyclopedia of Associations with IRS information about nonprofit associations, including association materials like brochures, logos, and membership applications.
- Bloomberg Law (Law Library only) Allows you to search legal, news, and business information with one search engine. Please see a reference librarian for help accessing the database.
- BNA Provides numerous law-related databases on topics such as workplace law, tax, accounting, commerce, and intellectual property.
- Business Source Complete (EBSCO) Comprehensive coverage of scholarly journals for business topics such as marketing, management, human resources, MIS, POM, Accounting, Finance and Economics. Includes author profiles, Financial Data, Books, Major Reference Works, Book Digests, Conference Proceedings, Case Studies, Company Profiles, SWOT Analyses, Investment Research Reports, Industry Reports, Market Research Reports, Datamonitor, and Country Reports.
- Doing Business This website sponsored by the International Financial Corporation and the World Bank provides information on the international business climate, including data, ratings, reports, research, and laws.
- Factiva International business and news coverage from more than 8,000 sources including newspapers, newswires, magazines, trade journals, radio and television transcripts, and websites. Company information and data. Up to 5 years of historical market data. Photographs and pictures from Reuters and Knight Ridder.
- Gale Directory Library Access to multiple reference sources, including Business Rankings Annual, Market Share Reporter, and Wards Business Directory.
- Hoover's Company Records Information on more than 12 million companies, both public and private, in more than 600 industries worldwide. Also available on Lexis (below).
- Human Resources Abstracts (EBSCO) Abstracts of articles related to human resource management, employee assistance, and organizational behavior.
- Mergent Horizon Detailed information about companies actively traded on the NYSE, AMEX and NASDAQ.
- Mergent Online Provides information about private and public companies, including their SEC filings and current and historical annual reports. Also provides news, industry reports, and competitive intelligence.
- Reference USA Provides data on more than 20 million U.S. businesses.
- Regional Business News (EBSCO) Full-text access to business journals, newspapers, and newswires covering all U.S. metropolitan and rural areas (compliments Business Source Complete database, above).
- RIA Checkpoint Contains a substantial collection of federal and state tax materials, including legislation, IRS materials, cases, and journals.
Bloomberg, Lexis, and Westlaw (Law School Users Only):
BloombergLaw. BLaw maintains a large collection of treatises from many publishers such as ABA, Bloomberg BNA, Practicing Law Institute, and more. Browse for a relevant or known titles, such as these ABA titles: Business Torts Litigation, Negotiating Business Acquisitions, and The ABCs of the UCC.
Lexis Advance. The relevant "Practice Areas & Topics" is Business & Corporate Law. Browse or search for relevant materials. Secondary sources include: Business Organizations and Tax Planning (Matthew Bender), Business Law Monographs, Business Torts, Business Transactions LexisNexis Forms, Drafting Partnership and LLC Agreements: Tax Provisions, General Business Emerging Issues, Hoover's Company and Industry Reports, Labor & Employment Law materials.
WestlawNext. The relevant Westlaw topic is Corporations. There are many relevant secondary sources, including: Advising Small Businesses, Business Franchise Guide, Choice of Business Entity, Limited Liability Companies: Law, Practice and Forms, Partnership Law and Practice: General and Limited Partnerships, and Whitmore, Nelson, McKee, Kuller, Hallmark & Garcia: Structuring & Drafting Partnership Agreements: Including LLCs.
- American Business Law Journal, K1 .M612.
- Columbia Business Law Review, K3 .O577.
- DePaul Business & Commercial Law Journal, K4 .E6.
- Journal of Business Law, K10 .O316.
- Journal of Legal Studies in Business, K10 .O43955.
- Stanford Journal of Law, Business & Finance, K23 .T29.
- University of Miami Business Law Review, K25 .N8279.
Use the E-Journal Finder to locate journals by title or keyword in our online collections.
U.S. Government Internet Resources:
- Department of Labor: Small Business Resource Center
- Environmental Protection Agency: Small Business Gateway
- Federal Business Opportunities
- House Small Business Committee
- Internal Revenue Service: Small Business and Self Employed Tax Center
- Office of the U.S. Trade Representative: Resource Center for Small Business
- Securities and Exchange Commission: Information for Small Business
- Senate Committee on Small Business Entrepreneurship
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Resources: Small Business
- U.S. Small Business Administration
Most Virginia materials are on the second floor in Range 228. A second copy of commonly used Virginia resources, such as Michie's Jurisprudence and the Code of Virginia, are also available on the first floor in Range 101. A few very popular resources are on Reserve. Please ask for assistance at the Circulation desk. These titles include:
- Corporations and Partnerships in Virginia, by Herman A. Marshall III. RESERVE KFV 2613 .C672.
- Limited Liability Companies in Virginia, by Allan G. Donn. RESERVE KFV2607.5 .L5622.
- LLCs: Planning and Drafting Issues. RESERVE KFV2613 .I59 2007.
- LLCs: Forming, Operating, and Dissolving the Entity. RESERVE KFV2613 .I59 2008.
- Virginia Practice-Volume 10-Business Entities. RESERVE KFV2480 .V5 .V10. Also available on Westlaw (GMUSL patrons only).
For general information about Virginia Legal Resources, see our Virginia Legal Materials Research Guide.
Last edited Sept. 10, 2014.