This research guide highlights some of the resources available in the law library focused on Homeland Security Law. Patrons may also wish to consult these library research guides: International Law, Federal Legislative History, and Federal Primary Materials.
- Dictionary of Homeland Security and Defense, by Margaret R. O'Leary. REFERENCE HV6432 .O42 2008.
- The Grey House Homeland Security Directory: Federal Agencies, State Agencies, Consultants, Products & Services, Associations, Magazines & Newsletters, Trade Shows, Directories & Databases. REFERENCE HV6432 .G748 2008.
- U.S. Government Counterterrorism: A Guide to Who Does What, by Michael B. Kraft & Edward Marks. REFEREMCE HV6432. K69 2012.
Treatises & Other Works:
Some examples of treatises and other scholarly works follow, for more publications search the GMU Library Catalog.
- Counter-Terrorism: International Law and Practice, edited by Ana Maria Salina De Frias et. al. KZ7220 .S25 2012.
- Foundations of Homeland Security: Law and Policy, by Martin J. Alperen. KF4850 .A947 2011.
- Guide to Homeland Security, available via Westlaw (HSASUM)(Law School patrons only).
- Homeland Security Law and Policy, edited by William C. Nickolson. HV6432 .H664 2005.
- Homeland Security: Legal and Policy Issues, edited by Joe D. Whitely & Lynne K. Zusman. KF4850 .H65 2009.
- Immigration Law and Procedure, by Charles Gordon. KF4819 .G6.
- National Security Investigations & Prosecutions 2d by Davis S. Kris & J. Douglas Wilson. KF 4850 .K75 2012, also available on Westlaw.
- National Security Law, edited by John Norton Moore and Robert F. Turner. KF4850 .N37 2005.
- National Security and the Legal Process, by Philip D. O'Neill, Jr. KF4850 .O54 2008.
- Terrorism and the Constitution: The Post 9/11 Cases, by H. L. Pohlman. KF9430 .A53 P64 2008.
Documentary Collections and Reports:
- Homeland Security: A Documentary History, edited by Bruce Maxwell. UA927 .H657 2004.
- The Patriot Act: A Documentary and Reference Guide, by Herbert N. Foerstel. REFERENCE KF9430 .F64 2008.
- Terrorism: Documents of International and Local Control. HV6431 T464 1979-2009. Multiple volumes of U.S. documents, including reports, executive orders, and court proceedings.
- The 9/11 Commission: Proceedings and Analysis, edited by James R. Holbein. HV 6432.7 .N56 2005. Also available at FDSys.
Compiled Legislative History:
- USA Patriot Act: A Legislative History ... Public Law 107-56 (2001), compiled by Bernard D. Reams. KF9430 .A316 U83 2002. Also available in HeinOnline.
- Also consult: Proquest Congressional and Proquest Legislative Insight. Both databases allow the researcher to search for compiled Legislative Histories by keyword or Public Law number.
- Harvard National Security Journal.
- Homeland Security Review (online).
- Journal of National Security Law & Policy, K10 .O451. Also in HeinOnline.
- National Security Law Journal (online).
- BNA Homeland Security Briefing.
- Index to Legal Periodicals and Books - An index to legal periodicals and books from 1908 to present that provides full text of some recent articles.
Other GMU Online Databases:
- BNA Homeland Security Briefing - daily coverage of significant federal and state actions related to security and anti-terrorist policies.
- Columbia International Affairs Online CIAO - Full text of more than 400 working papers, 40 conference proceedings, and 10 books annually, as well as abstracts from leading international relations research journals, brief reports, monthly statistics and maps from 1991 to present.
- Digital National Security Archive - collection of primary documents, including more than 55,000 important declassified documents regarding critical U.S. policy decisions.
- Jane's Terrorism and Insurgency Center - profiles of the world’s significant terrorist, guerrilla and insurgent groups.
- Homeland Security Digital Library - U.S. policy documents and specialize resources such as dissertations, reports, and position papers from universities, research institutions, think tanks, U.S. local and state agencies, and international organizations from 2002 to present.
- Military and Government Collection - news, periodicals, academic journals, country reports, and relevant government documents for all branches of the military from 1965 to present.
- National Technical Reports Library - documents from the National Technical Information Service's comprehensive collection of federally-funded technical reports.
- PAIS International - articles, books, conference proceedings, government documents, book chapters, and statistical directories from 1972 to present.
- Policy File - public policy research on governmental topics from 1990 to present.
- Praeger Security International - information on terrorism and security, including regional security, humanitarian and peace operations, weapons of mass destruction, armed forces, intelligence, military history, defense and national security, and military affairs.
- American Bar Association. Standing Committee on Law and National Security
- Homeland Security Digital Library
- Center for Infrastructure Protection and Homeland Security at the George Mason University School of Law
- 9/11 Commission Final Report (GPO Access)
- United States Department of Homeland Security
- Counterterrorism & Homeland Security Reports (CTRRPT)(published only from 1999-2011)(Lexis password required)
- Use Find a Source, and search for Homeland Security to find other resources.
- Search the Directory for Homeland Security. Selected publications include Homeland Security and Antiterrorism - Texts, Periodicals, and Primary Law (HOMELAND-ALL)(Westlaw password required)
Bloomberg BNA/Bloomberg Law:
- BNA Homeland Security Briefing (also available on Bloomberg Law - password required or see a librarian for access)
Updated March 21, 2014