Foreign law refers to the laws of countries other than one's own. International law is the body of rights and obligations, arising from treaties and other sources, between two or more countries or international organizations. To find an overview of any country's system of laws and where they are published use GMUSL's electronic Foreign Law Guide.
- Akehurst’s Modern Introduction to International Law (e-book), by Peter Malanczuk.
- The Civil Law Tradition: An Introduction to the Legal Systems of Europe and Latin America, by John Merryman and Rogelio Perez-Perdomo. REFERENCE K585 .M467 2007.
- Dictionary of International and Comparative Law, by James R. Fox. REFERENCE KZ1161 .F69 2003.
- Dictionary of International Trade Law, by Raj Bhala. REFERENCE K3943 .B488 2012.
- Elgar Encyclopedia of Comparative Law, edited by Jan M. Smits. REFERENCE K48 .E42 2006.
- Encyclopedia of Public International Law, REFERENCE KZ1160 .E53.
- Germain’s Transnational Law Research: A Guide for Attorneys, by Claire M. Germain. REFERENCE K85 .G47.
- Guide to International Legal Research. REFERENCE KZ1234 .G85 2010.
- International and Foreign Legal Research: A Coursebook, by Marci Hoffman & Mary Rumsey. REFERENCE K85 .H64 2012.
- Introduction to Foreign Legal Systems, edited by Richard A. Danner and Marie-Louise H. Bernal. REFERENCE K583 .I57 1994.
- Legal Research Methods in a Modern World: A Coursebook, by Lomio, Spang-Hanssen & Wilson. REFERENCE K85 .L66 2011.
- Legal Research Methods in the U.S. and Europe, by J. Paul Lomio. K85 .L66 2008.
- Martindale-Hubbell International Law Digest. REFERENCE KF190 .M3.
- Modern Legal Systems Cyclopedia, edited by Kenneth R. Redden. K530 .M62.
- Parry and Grant Encyclopedic Dictionary of International Law, edited by John P. Grant and J. Craig barker. REFERENCE KZ1161 .P37 2009.
- Restatement (third) of The Foreign Relations of the United States. REFERENCE KF395 .A2 F6 RANGE 107.
The Reference collection on the first floor has many foreign language dictionaries in the PA-PG call number range and many foreign language law dictionaries in the K52 call number range.
Foreign and International GMU Databases:
- Columbia International Affairs Online (CIAO) Materials on international relations since 1991 including working papers, conference proceedings, and books, as well as abstracts from journals, brief reports, monthly statistics, and maps.
- Constitutions of the Countries of the World Online. Contains the full text of the constitutions of 187 countries in English.
- Foreign Law Guide, describes the legal structure, where legal materials are published, and whether English translations are available for the laws of each of the 190 countries in the database.
- HeinOnline Foreign & International Law Resources Database. International yearbooks; U.S. digests of international law; Reports of the Hague Permanent Court of International Justice and Reports of International Arbitral Awards; reports of the Court of Justice of the European Communities; other miscellaneous works.
- International Legal Materials, published by American Society of International Law. Electronic version through HeinOnline International and Non-U.S. Law Journals (also available on Westlaw). Since 1962, ILM has been publishing selected full texts of important treaties and agreements, judicial and arbitral decisions, national legislation, international organizations resolutions, and other documents useful for scholarly work.
- Kluwer Arbitration. Contains the full text of almost 1700 bilateral investment treaties; over 5,400 court decisions, and 1,800 arbitral awards.
- Max Planck Encyclopedia of Public International Law. Includes more than 700 topics and is updated quarterly.
- Public Affairs Information Service (PAIS). Index to periodicals, books, reports, and government information published in English from around the world.
- BNA International:
- Export Reference Library
- International Business & Finance Daily
- International Environment Reporter
- International Trade Reporter
- International Tax-there are several reporters in this area. Scroll down to Tax-International on this list.
- World Communications Regulation Report
- World Data Protection Report
- World Intellectual Property Report
- World Securities Law Report
- WTO Reporter
- HeinOnline International and Non-U.S. Law Journals
- Index to Foreign Legal Periodicals — Electronic database provides indexing of legal literature worldwide since 1985, covering all forms of foreign (non-Anglo-American) law.
- Index to Legal Periodicals and Books — Electronic database provides indexing of Anglo-American legal periodicals and books from 1908, full-text for more recent articles.
- United States Treaty Index 1776-, edited by Igor I. Kravass. REFERENCE KZ235 .U58.
- Proquest Congressional, will include Congressional materials related to consideration of treaties.
- HeinOnline Treaties and Agreements Library, includes all State Department sources of U.S. treaties in addition to other helpful treaty information.
- Rhoades & Langer U.S. International Taxation and Tax Treaties, by Rufus von Thulen Rhoades and Marshall J. Langer. KF6306 .R48.
- Senate Treaty Documents from the 90th Congress, 1967-present on Thomas.
- Treaties in Force Electronic database has a list of treaties and other international agreements of the United States in force through the current year. REFERENCE JX235.9 A33.
- Treaties Pending in the Senate, State Department's list of pending treaties (lags in updates by up to a year).
- United States Treaties and Other International Acts Series, State Department's publication of United States treaties.
- Basic Documents of International Economic Law, edited by Stephen Zamora and Ronald A. Brand. K3820 .A35 B37 1990.
- Basic Documents in International Law, edited by Ian Brownlie. KZ64 .B37 2002.
- Consolidated Treaty Series, edited by Clive Parry. JX120 .P35.
- League of Nations Treaty Series. JX179 .L4 Law Library Archives.
- United Nations Treaty Collection electronic resource.
- United Nations Treaty Series Microfilm, vol. 1-800, Cabinet 38-39; vol. 984- (1975-), Cabinet 24. Volumes 801-1307 (1971-1983) available in print in the Law Library Archives.
You need to return to Lexis.com. To do so from Lexis Advance, click on the red Research tab in the upper right corner, and select lexis.com. In the Legal Search tab, you can find a link under "Area of Law by Topic" for both "Foreign Laws and Legal Services" and "International Law." Lexis provides European Union documents, documents of the International Court of Justice, and other international materials. It provides a good amount of Canadian, UK, and Mexican legal materials.
On the main page, click into the "International Materials." You will find all of Westlaw's international and foreign legal materials here, organized both by jurisdiction and content type. There is also an Index to the materials, wherein you can browse every title in the collection. Westlaw's foreign materials vary by country, with better materials for the UK, Australia, Canada, and Hong Kong. Westlaw provides the journal International Legal Materials and has material from the International Chamber of Commerce, American Arbitration Association International, and International Commercial Arbitration, among others.
Finding English translations of foreign laws is difficult. The Law Library of Congress has this helpful guide (updated March 2012) to finding national legislation translated into English. Countries included in the guide are Afghanistan, Argentina, Brazil, China, France, Germany, Greece, Israel, Italy, Japan, Lebanon, Mexico, and Russia.
Other Online Resources:
Many free websites offer international legal information.
- CMS Guide to Arbitration Volume I of this international arbitration guide includes chapters on the law and practice of arbitration in 32 foreign jurisdictions. Volume II contains international arbitration resources and materials, which include international conventions, institutional rules and model arbitration clauses. The guide may be downloaded and is optimized for tablets and mobile device
- Council of Europe The aim of the Council of Europe is to achieve a greater unity between its 46 member states.
- Dag Hammarskjold Library, United Nations library.
- EISIL, developed by the American Society of International Law to assist in locating high quality primary materials, authoritative websites, and research guides to international law on the internet.
- EUR-Lex, provides free, online access to European Union law and documents in all languages of the EU countries.
- International Court of Justice (ICJ), news, decisions, and documents of cases heard by the ICJ.
- United Nations Official Documents System (ODS), provides UN documents since 1993.
- World Legal Information Institute, free independent and non-profit access to worldwide law from 123 countries and territories.
Last updated: March 7, 2014