See also related handout: Finding NRLB decisions
This research guide provides a brief overview of the most useful secondary resources (many of which also include primary materials) covering U.S. labor and employment law. For more information about locating cases, regulations, and statutes please see the relevant research guides on these subjects. Most primary material will be available from administrative law sources, available on individual agency websites and legal information databases (e.g. Westlaw, Lexis, Bloomberg Law).
For newer researchers, note that "labor law" and "employment law" are common distinctions between the two principal fields addressing law in the workplace. Labor law typically refers to issues involving collective action and bargaining, union governance and representation, and dispute resolution in the organized workplace. It is also important to remember that governing labor law varies between the private or public sector, and in special employment categories (e.g. Transportation).
Employment Law commonly includes issues related to discrimination in employment on the basis of certain characteristics (e.g. race, sex), rights of "at will" employees, employee health and safety, and employee benefits.
- Employment Law Yearbook, by Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP, REFERENCE KF3302 .E573 2011. Also available on PLI Discover Plus (2011-) and Bloomberg Law.
- The Employer's Legal Handbook, by Fred. S. Steingold (NOLO), REFERENCE KF 3455 .Z9 S74 2009.
- The Essential Guide to Federal Employment Laws, by Lisa Guerin & Amy DelPo (NOLO), REFERENCE KF 3455 .G835 2009.
- Labor, Employment, and the Law: A Dictionary#mce_temp_url#,by Christopher Thomas Anglim. REFERENCE KF 3317. A54 1997.
- Lexicon of Labor, by R. Emmett Murray. REFERENCE HD 8066 .M87 1998.
- Your Rights in the Workplace, by Barbara Kate Kepa (NOLO), REFERENCE KF 3455 .Z9 R47 2010.
For other publications look in the GMU Library Catalog and see Electronic Services below.
- Age Discrimination in Employment Law, Jeremy J. Glenn ed. Available on Bloomberg Law.
- Americans with Disabilities Act : Employee Rights and Employer Obligations, by Jonathan R. Mook et al. KF 3469 .A94.
- BNA Primer of Labor Relations, KF 3408 .Z9 P7.
- Common Law of the Workplace: The Views of Arbitrators, by Theodore J. St. Antoine, ed. KF 3424 .C66 2005.
- Developing Labor Law: the Board, the Courts, and the National Labor Relations Act, John E. Higgins, Jr ed. et al. KF 3369 .D48 2006. Also available on Bloomberg Law.
- Disability Discrimination and the Workplace, Peter A. Susser and Peter J. Petesch. Available on Bloomberg Law.
- Disability Law Deskbook: The Americans with Disabilities Act in the Workplace. Available on PLI Discover Plus.
- Employee Benefits Law, by Jeffery Lewis ed. KF 3509. E58 2012. Also available on Bloomberg Law.
- Employment Discrimination Law, by Barbara T. Lindemann et al., KF 3464 .L56 2007. Also available on Bloomberg Law.
- Employment Discrimination Law and Practice, by Harold S. Lewis and Elizabeth J. Norman. KF 3464 .L4862 2004. Also on Reserve.
- Employment Law, by Mark A. Rothstein et al. RESERVE KF 3455 .E4682 2010.
- Employment Law: A Guide to Hiring, Managing, and Firing for Employers and Employees, by Lori B. Rassas. KF3319.85 .R37 2011.
- Employment Law in a Nutshell, by Robert N. Covington and Kurt H. Decker, RESERVE KF 3455 .Z9 C68 2009. Also available on Westlaw (Study Aids).
- The Fair Labor Standards Act (2d Ed.), Ellen C. Kearns, Ed. Available on Bloomberg Law.
- False Claims Act: Whistleblower Litigation (6th Ed.), by James B. Helmer, Jr. Available on Bloomberg Law.
- The Family and Medical Leave Act, Michael J. Ossip & Robert M. Hale, eds. Available on Bloomberg Law.
- How Arbitration Works (7th ed.), Kenneth May ed., KF 3424 .E53 2003. Also available on Bloomberg Law.
- Occupational Safety and Health Law, Gregory N. Dale & P. Matthew Shudtz eds. Available on Bloomberg Law.
- Labor and Employment Arbitration in a Nutshell, by Dennis R. Nolan, RESERVE KF 3425 .N638 2007. Also available on Westlaw (Study Aids).
- Labor and Employment Law, by N. Peter Lareau. Available on LexisAdvance (print cancelled).
- Larson on Employment Discrimination, Available on LexisAdvance (print cancelled).
- Privacy in Employment Law (4th ed.), by Matthew W. Finkin. Available on Bloomberg Law.
- Understanding Employment Law, by Michael J. Gray & Willis J. Goldsmith. Available on PLI Discover Plus
- Whistleblowing: The Law of Retaliatory Discharge, by Daniel P. Westman & Nancy M. Modesitt. Available on Bloomberg Law.
Virginia CLE Publications:
- Employment Law in Virginia, Charlottesville, VA : Virginia CLE Publications. RESERVE KFV 2734 .E464 2010.
- Employment Law guide : Employee Rights and Employer Responsibilities in Virginia. Charlottesville, VA : Virginia CLE Publications KFV 2731 .E55 2005.
- Virginia Employment Practices and Forms, Charlottesville, VA : Virginia CLE Publications. RESERVE KFV 2734 .I84a.
- Bloomberg Law/Bloomberg BNA Each format includes numerous resources (primary and secondary) on topics including NLRB practice, Railway Labor Act, EEOC practice, arbitration, major employment topics (e.g. privacy, safety & health, whistleblowing) and ERISA.
- LexisAdvance Practice areas & Topics > Labor & Employment Law
- Practicing Law Institute (PLI) Discover Plus Browse > Practice Area > Employment
- WestlawNext Practice areas > Employment Law
Also consult the electronic services above
- National Mediation Board (Airline and Railway disputes)
- United States Department of Labor
- Virginia Department of Labor and Industry
Last updated February 26, 2014