Formbooks are available in print and online.
Formbooks are aids for drafting legal documents. They may provide drafting guides, checklists, sample clauses, and form documents for substantive or procedural issues. They are designed with typical matters in mind. You should always check them against controlling law and modify them to meet your own particular needs.
Two types of formbooks:
- Pleadings and practice forms, which typically include documents that will be filed with the court (complaints, answers, replies, counterclaims, etc.)
- Transactional, i.e., instruments that are not necessarily litigious in nature, such as leases, contracts, and wills.
These include sample forms for a wide range of topics. All are located on the Law Library First Floor, Range 107.
- American Jurisprudence Legal Forms. KF170 .A542. Also available on Westlaw.
- West’s Legal Forms. KF1384 .A65 .W47. Also available on Westlaw.
Pleading and Practice Formbooks:
- American Jurisprudence Pleading and Practice Forms Annotated. KF8836 .A45. First Floor, Range 107. Also available on Westlaw.
- Federal Local Court Forms. RESERVE KF8836 .F422. Ask at the circulation desk.
- Moore's Manual. Federal Practice Forms, by James Wm. Moore, Louis R. Frumer. KF8836 .M66. Located on the 3rd Floor. Also available on Lexis.
Legal drafting titles are located in the KF250 call number range on RESERVE at Circulation Desk and in the REFERENCE collection. Older editions are on the third floor and can be checked out.
- Just Writing: Grammar, Punctuation, and Style for the Legal Writer, by Anne Enquist. REFERENCE KF755 .Z9 C54 2005.
- Legal Drafting in a Nutshell, by Thomas R. Haggard. RESERVE KF250 .H343 2007.
- Manual of Style for Contract Drafting, by Kenneth A. Adams. KF807 .A33 2008.
- Mastering Legal Analysis and Drafting, by Kuney and Looper. REFERENCE KF250 .K86 2009.
- Real World Document Drafting, by Marvin Garfinkel. REFERENCE KF250 .G365 2010.
- The Redbook: A Manual on Legal Style, by Bryan A. Garner. REFERENCE KF250 .G375 2013.
Virginia Formbooks and CLE (Continuing Legal Education):
These are located at the Circulation Desk on Reserve; in Law Library First Floor, Range 101; or on the Second Floor, Range 228.
- Limited Liability Companies in Virginia, by Allan Donn. RESERVE KFV2607.5 .L562 and CD-ROM.
- Goolsby on Virginia Corporations, by Allen Goolsby. 2nd Floor KFV2613 .G66 2008 and CD-ROM.
- Virginia Business Entities, by William Waddell. 2nd Floor and RESERVE KFV2613 .B87.
- Virginia Forms. 1st Floor and 2nd Floor KFV2468 .V57.
- Virginia Legal and Business Forms. RESERVE KFV2468 .V58.
- Michie's Forms on Disc: Virginia Edition. RESERVE KFV2468 M53.
- Virginia Employment Practices and Forms, by Edward Lee Isler, Steven W. Ray. RESERVE KFV2734 .I84.
- Forming Operating and Dissolving the Entity, Virginia CLE, 14th Annual Institute on using Limited Liability Entities in Virginia. RESERVE KFV2613 .I59 2008.
- LLCs Planning and Drafting Issues. Virginia CLE. RESERVE KFV2613 I59 2007.
Virginia Legal Forms Online Database:
- Virginia Legal Forms provides several thousand legal forms, including business, personal, litigation and federal forms, that you can download and edit.
Lexis Advance (GMUSL patrons only):
Suggested forms databases include:
- Current Legal Forms. Includes forms for general business, intellectual property, commercial real estate, family law, labor & employment, agricultural law, corporations & securities.
- Moore's Federal Practice. Includes forms for federal litigation.
- Virginia Forms
- VA Business and Commercial Forms
WestlawNext (GMUSL patrons only):
Suggested forms databases include:
- AmJur Legal Forms
- AmJur Pleading and Practice
- Corporate Forms
- Fletcher Corporation Forms Annotated
- West's Legal Forms
- West's McKinney Forms
Bloomberg Law (Law Library access only):
Bloomberg Law provides a database of example transactional documents. These differ from forms because they are real documents used in real deals, rather than forms drafted for use in typical situations. You can access these examples in the DealMaker Documents section of Bloomberg Law. Please see a Reference Librarian for help using the Bloomberg Law terminals in the Library.
Many titles intended for the non-lawyers have forms that are useful to law students and lawyers, too. Many are published by Nolo.com, formerly Nolo Press. They are located in the Reference Section on the First Floor, Range 112-113. Older editions are on the third floor and can be checked out. They often have CDs available at the Circulation Desk. Some are available electronically through the catalog.
- 101 Law Forms for Personal Use. REFERENCE KF170 .L46 2011, plus CD at Circulation Desk. 2007 edition available Online.
- Incorporate Your Business, by Anthony Mancuso. REFERENCE KF1420 .Z9 M36 2007.
- Nolo’s Simple Will Book. REFERENCE KF755 .Z9 C54 2007. Also available Online.
- Every Landlord’s Legal Guide. REFERENCE KF590 .Z9 S74 2010.
- Estate Planning Basics. REFERENCE KF750 .Z9 C585 2013. 2007 edition available Online.
Some examples follow. For other publications search the GMU Library Catalog or consult a Reference Librarian.
Subject-Specific Formbooks - Business Entities
- Delaware Law of Corporations and Business Organizations, by R. Franklin Balotti. KFD213 .B35. Also available on Westlaw.
- Fletcher Corporation Forms Annotated. KF1411 F55. Also available on Westlaw.
- Limited Liability Companies: Law, Practice & Forms, by Nickolas Karambelas. KF1380 .Z95 L520. Also available on Westlaw.
- Model Joint Venture Agreement with Commentary, by the ABA. RESERVE KF1380.5 .M63 2006 plus CD at Circulation Desk. Also available on Bloomberg Law.
- Organizing, Financing, Growing, and Selling Businesses: Forms and Advice for Lawyers, by Fredric Tannenbaum. RESERVE KF1355 .T36 2002 plus CDs at Circulation Desk.
Subject-Specific Formbooks – Contracts drafting guides
The Contracts section is on the Law Library Third Floor, Range 319.
- Drafting and Analyzing Contracts: A Guide to the Practical Application of the Principles of Contract Law, by Scott J. Burnham. KF807 .B87 2003.
- The Elements of Contract Drafting: With Questions and Clauses for Consideration, by George W. Kuney. KF807.2 .K86 2003.
- A Manual of Style for Contract Drafting, by Kenneth A. Adams. KF807 .A33 2004. 2008 edition available at REFERENCE KF807 .A33 2004.
Subject-Specific Formbooks – Employment Agreements
Labor and Employment law books are shelved on the Law Library Third Floor, Range 325-326. Employment agreements are also covered in the Contracts collection, Range 319, Law Library Third Floor.
- Consultant & Independent Contractor Agreements, by Stephen Fishman. REFERENCE KF898 .F567 2008.
- Employee Noncompetition Law, by Donald J. Aspelund, Robert B. Lytle. KF3463 .A97.
- The Employment Contract: Rights and Duties of Employers and Employees, by Warren Freedman. KF3319 .F74.
- Hiring Household Help and Contractors : Your Obligations Under the Law, by Margaret C. Jasper. KF3580 .D64 J37 2005.
- Virginia Employment Practices and Forms, by Edward Lee Isler, Steven W. Ray. RESERVE KFV2734 .I84 2011 and CD.
Subject Specific Formbooks - Intellectual Property
Intellectual property law books are shelved on the Law Library Third Floor, Ranges 324-325.
- Drafting Patent License Agreements, by Brunsvold, O'Reilley, and Kacedon. KF3145 .B78 2008.
- Getting Permission: How to License & Clear Copyrighted Materials, by Richard Stim. REFERENCE KF3002 .S75 2010 and CD at RESERVE.
- License Your Invention, by Richard Stim. Online.
- Profit from Your Idea: How to Make Smart Licensing Decisions, by Richard Stim. REFERENCE KF3145 .Z9 S75 2006 and CD at RESERVE.
For more information on Intellectual Property resources, see the Library's Intellectual Property Research Guide.
Subject-Specific Formbooks – Legislation
Law Library First Floor, Range 112-113. See also materials on Third Floor, Range 327.
- Drafting Legislation: A Modern Approach, by Stephanou and Xanthaki. REFERENCE K3320 .D73 2008. Also available Online.
- The Legislative Drafter’s Deskbook, by Tobias Dorsey REFERENCE KF4950 .D67 2006.
- Legislative Drafter's Desk Reference: A Practical Guide, by Lawrence Filson. REFERENCE KF4950 .F55 2008.
- Understanding Common Law Legislation: Drafting and Interpretation, by F.A.R. Bennion. REFERENCE K284 .B46 2001. 2009 edition available Online.
Subject-Specific Formbooks – Real Estate
Law Library Third Floor, Range 318.
- Commercial Ground Leases, by Jerome D. Whalen. KF593 .G7 W482. We no longer update the print edition; please use the online edition in our PLI Discover Plus database.
- Modern Real Estate: Practice Forms and Commentary, by Alvin L. Arnold. KF568.1 .A772 plus CD available on Reserve at the Circulation Desk.
Subject-Specific Formbooks – Wills
The Estate Planning collection is located on the Law Library Third Floor, Ranges 318-319.
- Drafting Wills and Trust Agreements, by Michael L.M. Jordan. REFERENCE KF748.1 .J66.
- Drafting Wills and Trusts, by Lucy A. Marsh. KF755 .M37 2009.
- A Lawyer's Guide to Estate Planning: Fundamentals for the Legal Practitioner, by Rush Hunt. KF750 H85 2004.
- Make Your Own Living Trust, by Denis Cliford. REFERENCE KF734 .C58 2013.
- FindLaw Forms. Provides links to forms on FindLaw and to collections at other web sites.
- 'Lectric Law Library's Form Room. Boasts that it has the Internet's biggest collection of free legal forms.
- LexisONE. Provides free and pay-for forms, predominantly for small firms and solo practitioners.
- US Legal Forms. Forms for a fee, organized by industry and type.
Last updated March 10, 2014