Hazel Hall Dedication, Sunday, November 6, 2005
On November 6, 2005 the Board of Visitors of George Mason University, President Alan Merten and the law school community will celebrate the naming of the building that houses the School of Law to John T. Hazel, Jr. Hall. The ceremony will take place at 3:00 pm in the Law School's Atrium. All law school faculty, staff, students, and alumni are invited. To RSVP for the reception, call 703-993-2088. The parking lot will be open that day for guests attending the reception.
George Mason University's Board of Visitors voted unanimously to name the building which houses the School of Law after Mr. Hazel, commonly known as "Til," a long-time university supporter and visionary advocate for Northern Virginia. Mr. Hazel, a prominent attorney and real estate developer, led the effort to help Mason acquire a law school in 1979. He also has had a nearly 50-year association with Mason, going back to 1957 when the institution was created as a two-year satellite extension of the University of Virginia. Mr. Hazel, along with other community leaders, helped acquire the land in Fairfax on which Mason was built.
For more information, see University Will Name School of Law Building after John T. Hazel Jr. (Mason Gazette).