Deputy Labor Secretary to Keynote Immigration Conference
Immigration: Practice and Policy
Wednesday, October 18, 2006
4:30 to 8:00 p.m.
George Mason University School of Law
3301 Fairfax Drive
(Virginia Square/GMU Orange Line Metro Stop)
Deputy Labor Secretary Steven Law will deliver the keynote address at the George Mason University School of Law Civil Rights Law Journal symposium to be held October 18. Entitled Immigration: Practice and Policy, the event will gather expert practitioners and senior policy staffers for two engaging panel discussions, concluding with Secretary Law's remarks.
4:30 — 5:30 p.m.: Practitioners Doing Pro-Bono Work
- Ofelia L. Calderon, Founding Partner, Calderon & Derwin, PLC
- Karen T. Grisez, Special Counsel, Fried Frank
- Steven Lang, Pro-Bono Coordinator, Executive Office for Immigration Review, Department of Justice
- Nancy Jane Shestack, Executive Director, Hogar Hispano, Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Arlington
- Debi Sanders, Executive Director, Capital Area Immigration Rights Coalition (moderator)
5:45 — 6:45 p.m.: Amnesty v. Enforcement - The House and Senate Proposals
- Rachel L. Brand, Assistant Attorney General for Legal Policy, Department of Justice
- Juria Jones, Chief Courts & Immigration Counsel, Senate Committee on the Judiciary
- Phil Kiko, Chief of Staff and General Counsel, House Committee on the Judiciary
- Julie Kirchner, Director of Government Relations, Federation for American Immigration Reform
- Max Sevillia, Legislative Counsel, American Civil Liberties Union
7:00 — 8:00 p.m.: Keynote Address
- Steven J. Law, Deputy Secretary, U.S. Department of Labor
Reporters should RSVP to Ginny Smith, Director of Communications, at 703-993-8007 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
All other inquiries should be directed to Mitchell Wunsh, Symposium Editor, at 703-993-8162 or email@example.com.