This Week on the Arlington Campus
Arlington Student Lounge
Did you know that a newly cleaned and updated student lounge is located in the Arlington Original Building? Come and visit the student lounge in the Arlington Original Building, room 116 near the Photo ID office. The room is furnished with conference tables, sofas, chairs and even some games for your enjoyment. Student and community communications are posted on the several bulletin boards located in the Lounge. Wireless Internet is also available from this location.
Conversational Spanish for all Arlington Staff & Students!
Conversational Spanish classes began last week for all faculty, staff and students at Arlington. The class meets every Tuesday, from 2-3 in room 251 in the Arlington original Building. The classes will be held until April 10 and are presented by Michelle Ramos. Learn conversational Spanish to survive a day at the office. Learn to communicate at work with individuals who speak Spanish using basic phrases in Spanish. No prior registration is required. This service is FREE and it is open to all GMU faculty, staff and students. Please bring your GMU ID to class for registration.
Arlington Passport Fair
March 28 from 9AM- 3PM in the Arlington Original Building Room 268
Do you need to renew your passport or apply for a new one? Please come to the George Mason Arlington Campus Passport Fair. This is event is open to all members of the Arlington community.
To apply for the passport, please be sure to bring:
- Passport Application ( available at the event and online)
- Proof of U.S. citizenship ( birth certificate / old passport )
- Proof of Identity ( Government issued photo ID/ military ID)
- Two identical color passport photos ( you can purchase photos at the faire for a fee)
- Passport fees ( 2 checks or money orders for payments)
Children under 14 will need consent from both parents
For specific details concerning the items listed above, please visit: www.usps.com/passport
- Age 16 and older - application fee $67.00 and the execution fee is $30.00. The total is $97.00
- Under the age of 16 - the passport application fee is $52.00 and the execution fee is $30.00. The total is $82.00
- Expedition Service - add $60.00 for each application
Photo fee - $15.00 for a set of two photos.
- A new law, effective January 23, 2007, requires Americans to show passports when returning by air from Canada, Mexico and other places in the Western Hemisphere.
- To obtain a NEW drivers license in the State of Virginia, it is required that you present the DMV with either a birth certificate or a US Passport.
- IMPORTANT: Please do not sign the passport application prior to meeting with a USPS representative at the Passport Fair. You must sign the application in the presence of a USPS representative.
- Passport applications are located at both the first floor and the second floor Information Booths in the Arlington Original Building.
Wednesday, March 28, 1:00-2:30 PM in the Arlington Original Building, Room 257
Come hear the stories of three Return Peace Corps Volunteers and find out how you can get involved in short term and long term Peace Corps volunteering opportunities! The Peace Corps is considered one of the most fulfilling volunteer experiences a student can have. It was established in 1960 when then Senator John F. Kennedy challenged students at the University of Michigan to serve their country in the cause of peace by living and working in developing countries. This event is taking place on Wednesday, March 28th from 1:00-2:30 in the Arlington Original Building, room 257 For more information or to RSVP, please contact Dr. Lina Beydoun firstname.lastname@example.org or (703) 993-2945.