Following is a list of courses for Spring 2014 that will offer the option of laptop use for the final exam. If your exam(s) appear on this list and you are interested in electing the laptop option, please proceed to the general information and instructions that follow. The enrollment period for laptop use opens on April 21, 2014 and remains open through May 14, 2014.
Exams with Laptop Option - Spring 2014
- Administrative Law --- Rabkin
- Administrative Law --- Sales
- Adv Econ Foundations --- Butler, Cooper
- Business Associations --- Johnsen
- Civil Procedure --- Newman
- Civil Procedure --- Parker
- Civil Procedure --- Sturiale
- Commercial Paper --- Fiore
- Communications Law --- Sockett
- Comparative Constitutional Law --- Malcolm
- Constitutional Law II --- Somin
- Contracts II --- Boardman
- Contracts II --- Buckley
- Contracts II --- Zywicki
- Corporate Tax --- Perkins
- Corporate Tax --- Mullaney, Merrick
- Criminal Law --- Lerner
- Criminal Law --- Shannon
- Criminal Law --- Treyger
- Criminal Procedure --- Fitzpatrick
- Discrimination in Employment --- Blair
- ERISA Law --- O'Connor
- Evidence --- Alden
- Family Law --- Alvare
- Family Law --- D. Smith
- Federal Courts --- Cooper/Massaro
- Federal Courts --- Greve
- Health Law --- Yeh
- Immigration Law --- Drake
- International Trade --- Pickard
- Labor Law --- Barnsback
- Legal Clinic - Mental Illness --- Minter & Overand
- Legislation --- Rabkin
- Legislation --- Rao
- Patent Law II --- Chiang
- Patent Law II --- Mossoff
- Products Liability --- Krauss
- Professional Responsibility --- Perkins
- Real Estate Finance --- Heninger
- Regulation of Food & Drugs --- Lietzan
- Securities Law and Regulations --- Bondi, Sporkin, Polise
- Trade Secrets --- Chiang
- Unincorporated Business --- Castaldi & Auchterlonie
- Virginia Remedies --- Cummings
Exam Software Instructions
During the Spring 2014 exam period, students enrolled in the courses listed above will be given the option of taking their final exam on their personal laptop by installing exam software product called SofTest from ExamSoft.
SofTest allows students to type their exam answers for closed-computer exams while preventing access to the computer hard drive or outside sources. For open-computer exams, the software allows access to other files and programs outside SofTest including internet access. For internet-block open-computer exams, the software allows access to other files and programs outside SofTest but not internet access. The software automatically saves the typed answers in an encrypted format and frequently backs up the entire exam file. At the completion of the exam, the SofTest program will automatically upload the exam answer file to a secure server using the Internet.
It is recommended that you arrive early for your exams to select an eligible color-coded seat and set up your laptop, as the exam will begin on time. You are responsible for the connection from your laptop to our power supply and network. You should have a back-up battery for your laptop if possible. You must have a working network card and Ethernet cable or wireless card. The Law School does not support the use of SofTest on older, non-Intel Macintosh computers. See PC and Mac requirements below.
There will be no technical support available to individual students during an exam. You assume all risk of equipment and equipment power failure. It is your responsibility to be proficient in using your laptop and familiarizing yourself with the software. You cannot delay the start of an exam if you have computer problems. You will not be given additional time if your computer malfunctions. If your computer malfunctions, you will have two options: 1) shut down your computer and reboot (1 time only); 2) shut down your computer and handwrite the remainder of your exam. You should safeguard your laptop hard drives until grades for your courses have been issued in case a printing problem arises and we need to retrieve exam answers from the hard drive. If there is a problem with your laptop and no exam answers can be recovered, the Director of Student Academic Affairs has the final decision about how to handle your case. Any attempt to disable or tamper with the security features of SofTest will be considered a violation of the Honor Code.
To auto update, launch SofTest. On a Windows laptop, press Control a u simultaneously. On a MacBook, press Command a u simultaneously. After choosing "yes" on the prompt, SofTest will close and auto update will work behind the scenes. The laptop should have an active internet connection for auto update. After 15 minutes, go back to check and make sure your laptop has the current SofTest version.
Students planning to use their laptops for Spring 2014 exams, who already have a waiver form on file AND who downloaded a current version of SofTest and registered with ExamSoft, should download a blank exam file for EACH ExamSoft exam you will be taking:
- Open SofTest and then click "Download Exam Files".
- Use your ExamSoft ID and password to log in and leave the "download password" field blank
- Choose all the exams you want to download (press the <CTRL> key to select multiple items)
If you did not download ExamSoft in the Fall 2013 semester and did not submit a waiver form, you must do ALL of the following steps. If you do not complete All 4 STEPS of the registration process, you will have to hand-write your exams.
1. Download the ExamSoft software from: www.examsoft.com/masonlaw
Select the “Exam Taker” tab, and complete all steps to create a new account, then download and install SofTest. You must download the latest version, even if you have previously used Examsoft for exams.
2. Register to use SofTest. After installing SofTest, launch the software and enter your user ID and password to register. After registering SofTest, you will receive a registration confirmation email from email@example.com and the registration number along with the registration date will be recorded. Additionally, when SofTest is launched, the Start Window will indicate that your “Registration” is “Complete”. You may also visit www.examsoft.com/masonlaw and log into your account to confirm your registration completion
3. Download your blank exam file(s). Next, you need to download a blank exam file for EACH ExamSoft exam you will be taking.
- Establish an Internet connection.
- Double-click the SofTest icon.
- Click the “Download Exam Files” button.
- Enter your User ID # and Password. Then click “Next”
- Exam download password is not required. Leave it blank. Click “Next”
- Select your exam from the list. Click the “Download” button. (press the <CTRL> key to select multiple items).
For Windows PC users, all the blank exam files are downloaded to this default directory:
For Mac Users, all the blank exam files are downloaded to this default directory:
Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/SofTest/152295/Exams.
Note: these files do not contain exam questions but are blank exam files. You will not be able to open an exam until you are given the password on the day of the exam.
4. Print, complete and sign the waiver form and submit to Law Records Office by April 26, 2014.
Completing only some of these steps will not qualify you to take your exams on your laptop. If you do not complete ALL 4 STEPS of the registration process, you will have to hand-write your exams. If you have any questions or problems with registration, contact ExamSoft technical support at firstname.lastname@example.org or call toll-free 866-429-8889.
If you want to test all aspects of the software, download “MockTestSpring2013” which you can take ten times. “MockTestSpring2014” simulates all aspects of a closed computer exam with SofTest. No password is needed to take “MockTestSpring2014” exam.
What must I do on exam day?
- Bring your laptop, power cord, battery and Ethernet cable (if you plan to plug in to the wired network instead of using the wireless network).
- Arrive to the exam room at least 15 minutes early, plug your computer into a power outlet, turn on the computer and launch your browser in order to make sure that you can get an Internet connection. The exam will begin promptly at the scheduled time.
- Follow the instructions provided on exam day to begin launching SofTest.
- Exams will not be delayed or suspended due to computer problems. No administrative relief will be granted for incorrect use of the software.
NOTE: THERE WILL BE NO TECHNICAL SUPPORT DURING THE EXAM.
After completing the exam:
- At the completion of the examination, you should follow the instructions you will receive on exam day to exit the SofTest software and upload the exam answer files to a secure server through the laptop’s Internet connection.
- You should receive an email confirmation from ExamSoft for each exam that you successfully upload.
- Do not uninstall SofTest until you receive your exam grades for the semester.
ExamSoft Technical Requirements/Features:
SofTest can be used on virtually any modern computer (i.e. purchased within the last 3-4 years). Specific system requirements are noted below:
ExamSoft does not support Tablet-PC's.
ExamSoft recommends that you disable your firewall and/or anti-virus software.
- CPU = 2GHz Intel® Core™/Celeron™ or equivalent x86 processor (CPU Info)
- RAM = highest recommended for the operating system or 2GB
- Hard Drive = highest recommended for the operating system or 1GB of free space
- Operating System = English 32-bit Versions of Windows XP, 32-bit and 64-bit Versions of Windows Vista and Windows 7 and 8
- SofTest cannot be used on virtual operating systems suchas Microsoft's Virtual Machine, Parallels or VMware, VMware Fusion or any other virtual environments.
- Software = Internet Explorer 7.0 or later.
- Internet connection for SofTest Installation, Exam Download and Upload
- Screen Resolution must be 1024x768 or higher
- Administrator level account permissions
Mac Requirements (Native OS)
iPads may not be used.
In order to use SofTest on your Apple Macbook, Macbook Air or Macbook Pro natively, you must have:
- CPU = Intel processor
- RAM = 2 GB
- Hard Drive = 1 GB or higher free disk space
- Operating System = MAC OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard), 10.7 (Lion), or 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
- Server version of Mac OS X is not supported
- SofTest may not be used in a virtual operating systems
- Software = Internet browser. Internet connection for SofTest Installation, Exam Download and Upload
- Internet Access for SofTest Installation, Exam Download and Upload
- Administrator Account
Special Note: The use of older, non-Intel Macs running the Mac OS X is prohibited. In addition, SofTest cannot be used on virtual operating systems such as Microsoft's Virtual Machine, Parallels or VMware.
ExamSoft SofTest Features:
- Cut & Paste within document
- Spell check
- Word Count (Available under Tools for PC and under Sidebar/Stats for Mac)
- Character Count (Automatically appears in the status bar at the bottom of the SofTest window)
- Undo capability (up to 50 previous actions)
- Auto-save every 60 seconds
- Upload via wired or wireless internet connection
During extended periods of non–use, some computers may go into sleep or hibernate mode which can sometimes be difficult to exit during an exam. To adjust your Power Management settings, navigate to the Control Panel (Start/Settings/Control Panel Windows 2000 – Start Control Panel Widows XP) and select ‘Power Options’. Change the settings as listed below. You may reset to the desired settings after your exam.
- Power Schemes – All options should be set to ‘Never’.
- Hibernate – This feature should NOT be enabled.