This research guide focuses on resources covering a number of topics in Communications Law, including: radio, television, wire, satellite, cable, and the Internet. For additional information, please consult the law library's related research guides: Intellectual Property, Federal Administrative Law
Research, Reference & Dictionaries:
- A Dictionary of the Internet, Darrel Ince (Oxford Reference Database).
- A Dictionary of Media and Communication, Daniel Chandler and Rod Munday (Oxford Reference Database).
- Internet and the Law: Technology, Society, and Compromises, Aaron Schwabach. Reference KF 390.5 .C6 S358. First edition (2006) available as an e-book.
- Media Law Dictionary, John Murray. KF 2750 .A6 M87.
- Newton's Telecom Dictionary, Harry Newton. TK 5102 .N49.
- Official Telecommunications Dictionary: Legal and Regulatory Definitions, Thomas F.P. Sullivan. KF 2763.6 .O43.
- Oxford Dictionary of Computing, John Daintith and Edmund Wright (Oxford Reference Database).
This list reflects a substantial number of the Law Library's current treatises. For additional works held by George Mason University libraries in print or digital formats, search the Mason Library Catalog. Useful subject headings include: Telecommunication--Law and legislation, Television--Law and legislation, Radio--Law and legislation, Mass media--Law and legislation, and Internet--Law and legislation.
- Communications Law and Practice, by Stuart N. Brotman. On Lexis.
- Communication Law in America, by Paul Siegel. KF2750 .S53.
- Communications Law in the Digital Age (2014 Course Handbook), by Bruce P. Keller et. al. On PLI Plus.
- Electronic Media Law and Regulation, by Kenneth C. Creech, KF2805 .C74 2014.
- Law of Journalism and Mass Communication, by Robert Trager, et al., KF2750 .T73 2016.
- Law of Public Communication, by Kent R. Middleton & William E. Lee, KF2750 .M53 2016.
- Legal Guide to Broadcast Law and Regulation, by Jean W. Bend et al. KF 2805 N33 2015.
- Mass Communication Law in a Nutshell, by Carter, et al., RESERVE KF2750 .Z9 M37 2014. Also on West Online Study Aids.
- Mass Media Law: A Survey of Content and Culture, by Michael M. Epstein. KF2750 .E67 2015.
- Modern Communications Law (West Hornbook), by Zuckerman et. al. On West Online Study Aids.
- Modern Communications Law (3 vol.), by Zuckman, et al. KF2756 .M63 (last updated by the publisher in 2007).
- Digital Communications Law, by Henry H. Perritt, Jr. KF2765 .P472 .
- Law of Computer Technology, by Raymond T. Nimmer. On Westlaw.
- Scott on Multimedia Law, by Michael D. Scott. On Westlaw.
- Cable and Broadband
- All About Cable and Broadband, by James C. Goodale and Rob Frieden. On Lexis.
- Broadband and Cable Industry Law (2016 Course Handbook), by Tara M. Corvo and Markham C. Erickson. On PLI Plus.
- Cable Television and Other Non Broadcast Video: Law & Policy, by David L. Brenner et. al. On Westlaw.
- Global Internet Law, by Michael Rustad, RESERVE K564.C6 R87 2014. Also on West Online Study Aids.
- Internet and Online Law, by Ken D. Stuckey. On Lexis.
- Internet and Technology Law Desk Reference, by Michael D. Scott. On Westlaw.
- Internet Law & Practice, by Joseph B. Fazio. On Westlaw.
- Internet Law for the Business Lawyer, by Juliet M. Moringiello, KF 390.5 C6 I569 2012.
- Law of the Internet, by George B. Delta & Jeffery H. Matsuura. KF390.5 .C6 D452 2017. Also on Westlaw.
- Social Media
- McGrady on Social Media, by Paul D. McGrady Jr. On Westlaw.
- Social Media and the Law, by Kathryn L. Ossian (2013, Supp. 2016). On PLI Plus.
- Digital Crossroads: Telecommunications Law and Policy in the Internet Age, by Jonathan E. Nuechterlein and Philip J. Weiser, HE7781 .N84 2013.
- Federal Telecommunications Law, by Huber, et al. KF 2765 .K452 (through 2017). Also on Westlaw.
- Telecommunications Answer Book (2017), by Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP. On PLI Plus.
- Telecom Antitrust Handbook (ABA Books), KF2765 .T46 2013.
- Telecommunications Regulation: Cable, Broadcasting, Satellite, and the Internet, by Ferris & Lloyd. On Lexis.
- Subject specialty law journals:
- CommLaw Conspectus: Journal of Communications Law and Policy
- Communications Lawyer
- Federal Communications Law Journal (continues Federal Communications Bar Journal)
- First Amendment Law Review
- Hastings Communications and Entertainment Law Journal
- I/S: A Journal of Law and Policy for the Information Society
- Journal of International Media & Entertainment Law
- Journal of Media Law and Ethics
- Journal on Telecommunications & High Technology Law
- Media Law & Policy
- Michigan Telecommunications and Technology Law Review
- News Media & the Law
- Washington Journal of Law, Technology & Arts
- Yale Journal on Regulation
- HeinOnline has the complete run of many communication law journals in PDF format, and the database is searchable (type Boolean connectors in all capital letters).
- Communication & Mass Media Complete is an index to non-law literature in communications and mass media.
Bloomberg BNA Resources:
- Telecommunications Law Resource Center
- Includes Pike & Fisher Communications Regulations
- Internet Law Resource Center
- Media Law Reporter
- Bloomberg Law: Tech & Telecom (formerly World Communications Regulation Report)
The Library subscribes to BNA-All electronic databases. Please see that full list for additional databases.
Legislation & Legislative History:
- CQ Press Library - search for information about politics and Congress in many CQ Press publications.
- Congress.gov - stay abreast of current legislation as it moves through Congress, or see legislative information for bills since 1973.
- ProQuest Legislative Insight - to search for compiled legislative histories that include all documents, full text, in PDF format.
- ProQuest Congressional - search for congressional documents since 1776 by title, number, keyword, and more. Documents available in PDF format.
FCC adjudicative decisions, Reports & Orders (R&O), and Memorandum Opinion & Orders (MO&O) are printed in the FCC Record and its predecessor the FCC Reports. A brief description of these documents is available in the three-page guide: Sara Kelley Burriesci, Introduction to Federal Communications Law Sources, 53(4) Law Library Lights 21 (2010).
- BNA's Telecommunications Law Resource Center, 1986 to present (PDF)
- LLMC Digital, 1986 to present (PDF); and FCC Reports 1934-1986 (PDF)
- Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
- National Telecommunications & Information Administration (NTIA) (U.S. Dept. of Commerce)
- International Telecommunications Union (ITU)
- Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)
- World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
Other Useful Websites:
- ABA Forum on Communications Law
- Berkman Center for Internet & Society
- Pew Research Internet Project
- Telecommunications Industry Association
- Law360 > Telecommunications
- BloombergBNA > Telecom Law Report
- Gartner a daily resource for news and in-depth analysis on virtually all aspects of technology
- Proquest Telecommunications provides full-text journal articles covering areas of : telecommunications, computer applications, data communication, data transmission systems, electronic data processing, information science and theory, radio and television, and wireless communication.
Last updated February 20, 2017