Forms are available in print and online.
Forms are aids for drafting legal documents. They may provide drafting guides, checklists, sample clauses, and form documents for substantive or procedural issues. They are designed with typical matters in mind. You should always check them against controlling law and modify them to meet your own particular needs.
Two types of forms:
- Pleadings and practice forms, which typically include documents that will be filed with the court (complaints, answers, replies, counterclaims, etc.)
- Transactional, i.e., instruments that are not necessarily litigious in nature, such as leases, contracts, and wills.
These include sample forms for a wide range of topics. Examples include:
- West’s Legal Forms. KF1384 .A65 .W47. Also available on Westlaw.
- American Jurisprudence Legal Forms. Available on Westlaw.
Pleading and Practice Forms:
- Moore's Manual. Federal Practice Forms, by James Wm. Moore, Louis R. Frumer. KF8836 .M66. Located on the 3rd Floor. Also available on Lexis.
- American Jurisprudence Pleading and Practice Forms Annotated. Available on Westlaw.
Legal drafting titles are located in the KF250 call number range, and contract drafting titles are in the KF807 call number range. Newer editions are on RESERVE at the Circulation Desk or in the REFERENCE section. Older editions--though not listed here--are on the third floor and can be checked out.
- Drafting Contracts: How and Why Lawyers Do What They Do, by Tina L. Stark. REFERENCE & RESERVE KF807 .S73 2014.
- Just Writing: Grammar, Punctuation, and Style for the Legal Writer, by Anne Enquist. REFERENCE KF755 .Z9 C54 2005.
- Legal Drafting in a Nutshell, by Thomas R. Haggard. RESERVE KF250 .H343 2016. Also on West Online Study Aids.
- Manual of Style for Contract Drafting, by Kenneth A. Adams. REFERENCE & RESERVE KF807 .A33 2013.
- Mastering Legal Analysis and Drafting, by Kuney and Looper. REFERENCE KF250 .K86 2009.
- Real World Document Drafting, by Marvin Garfinkel. REFERENCE KF250 .G365 2010.
- The Redbook: A Manual on Legal Style, by Bryan A. Garner. REFERENCE KF250 .G375 2013.
Virginia Forms and CLE (Continuing Legal Education):
These are located at the Circulation Desk on Reserve; or on the Second Floor, Virginia section.
- Limited Liability Companies in Virginia, by Allan Donn. RESERVE KFV2607.5 .L562.
- Goolsby on Virginia Corporations, by Allen Goolsby. RESERVE KFV2613 .G66 2014.
- Virginia Business Entities, by William Waddell. 2nd Floor and RESERVE KFV2613 .B87.
- Virginia Forms. 2nd Floor KFV2468 .V572.
- Michie's Forms on Disc: Virginia Edition. RESERVE KFV2468 M53.
- Virginia Employment Practices and Forms, by Edward Lee Isler and Steven W. Ray. RESERVE KFV2734 .I84 2015.
- Forming, Operating and Dissolving the Entity, Virginia CLE, 14th Annual Institute on using Limited Liability Entities in Virginia. RESERVE KFV2613 .I59 2008.
- LLCs Planning and Drafting Issues. Virginia CLE. RESERVE KFV2613 I59 2007.
Virginia Legal Forms Online Database:
- Virginia Legal Forms provides several thousand legal forms, including business, personal, litigation and federal forms, that you can download and edit.
Lexis Advance (Mason Law users only):
Suggested forms databases include:
- Current Legal Forms. Includes forms for general business, intellectual property, commercial real estate, family law, labor & employment, agricultural law, corporations & securities.
- Moore's Federal Practice. Includes forms for federal litigation.
- Virginia Forms
- VA Business and Commercial Forms
Westlaw (Mason Law users only):
Suggested forms databases include:
- AmJur Legal Forms
- AmJur Pleading and Practice
- Corporate Forms
- Fletcher Corporation Forms Annotated
- West's Legal Forms
- West's McKinney Forms
Bloomberg Law (Law Library access only):
Bloomberg Law provides a database of example transactional documents. These differ from forms because they are real documents used in real deals, rather than forms drafted for use in typical situations. You can access these examples in the DealMaker Documents section of Bloomberg Law. Please see a Reference Librarian for help using the Bloomberg Law terminals in the Library.
Many titles intended for the non-lawyers have forms that are useful to law students and lawyers, too. Many are published by Nolo.com, formerly Nolo Press. They are located in the Reference Section on the First Floor. Older editions are on the third floor and can be checked out. They often have CDs available at the Circulation Desk. Some are available electronically through the catalog. Examples include:
- 101 Law Forms for Personal Use. REFERENCE KF170 .L46 2011, plus CD at Circulation Desk. 2007 edition available Online.
- Incorporate Your Business, by Anthony Mancuso. REFERENCE KF1420 .Z9 M36 2007.
- Nolo’s Simple Will Book. REFERENCE KF755 .Z9 C54 2007. Also available Online.
- Every Landlord’s Legal Guide. REFERENCE KF590 .Z9 S74 2010.
- Estate Planning Basics. REFERENCE KF750 .Z9 C585 2013. 2007 edition available Online.
Some examples follow. For other publications search the GMU Library Catalog or consult a Reference Librarian.
Subject-Specific Formbooks - Business Entities
- Delaware Law of Corporations and Business Organizations, by R. Franklin Balotti. Available on Westlaw.
- Fletcher Corporation Forms Annotated. KF1411 F55 (updated through 2015). Also available on Westlaw.
- Limited Liability Companies: Law, Practice & Forms, by Nickolas Karambelas. KF1380 .Z95 L520 (updated through 2015). Also available on Westlaw.
- Model Joint Venture Agreement with Commentary, by the ABA. RESERVE KF1380.5 .M63 2006 plus CD at Circulation Desk. Also available on Bloomberg Law.
- Organizing, Financing, Growing, and Selling Businesses: Forms and Advice for Lawyers, by Fredric Tannenbaum. RESERVE KF1355 .T36 2002 plus CDs at Circulation Desk.
Subject-Specific Formbooks – Employment Agreements
Labor and Employment law books are shelved on the Law Library Third Floor, Range 326-327. Employment agreements are also covered in the Contracts collection, Range 319, Law Library Third Floor.
- Consultant & Independent Contractor Agreements, by Stephen Fishman. REFERENCE KF898 .F567 2014.
- Employee Noncompetition Law, by Donald J. Aspelund, Robert B. Lytle. KF3463 .A97 (updated through 2015). Also available on Westlaw.
- Hiring Household Help and Contractors: Your Obligations Under the Law, by Margaret C. Jasper. KF3580 .D64 J37 2005.
- Virginia Employment Practices and Forms, by Edward Lee Isler, Steven W. Ray. RESERVE KFV2734 .I84 2015.
Subject Specific Formbooks - Intellectual Property
Intellectual property law books are shelved on the Law Library Third Floor, Ranges 324-325.
- Drafting Patent License Agreements, by Dennis P. O'Reilley and Brian D. Kacedon. KF3145 .B78 2015. Also on Bloomberg Law.
- Getting Permission: How to License & Clear Copyrighted Materials, by Richard Stim. REFERENCE KF3002 .S75 2010.
- Profit from Your Idea: How to Make Smart Licensing Decisions, by Richard Stim. REFERENCE KF3145 .S75 2014.
For more information on Intellectual Property resources, see the Library's Intellectual Property Research Guide.
Subject-Specific Formbooks – Legislation, United States
Law Library First Floor, Range 112-113. See also materials on Third Floor, Range 327.
- Legal, Legislative, and Rule Drafting in Plain English, by Robert J. Martineau and Michael B. Salerno. REFERENCE KF250 .M37 2005.
- The Legislative Drafter’s Deskbook, by Tobias Dorsey REFERENCE KF4950 .D67 2006.
- Legislative Drafter's Desk Reference: A Practical Guide, by Lawrence Filson. REFERENCE KF4950 .F55 2008.
- Legislative Drafting Step-by-Step, by Arthur J. Rynearson. KF4950 R98 2013.
- Plain English for Drafting Statutes and Rules, by Robert J. Martineau. REFERENCE KF250 .M365 2012.
Subject-Specific Formbooks – Legislation, International
- Drafting Legislation: A Modern Approach, by Constantine Stephanou and Helen Xanthaki. REFERENCE K3320 .D73 2008. Also available Online.
- Understanding Common Law Legislation: Drafting and Interpretation, by F.A.R. Bennion. Note: this has an international focus. REFERENCE K284 .B46 2001. Also available online.
Subject-Specific Formbooks – Real Estate
Law Library Third Floor, Range 318.
- Commercial Ground Leases, by Jerome D. Whalen. KF593 .G7 W482. We no longer update the print edition; please use the online edition in our PLI Plus database.
- Modern Real Estate: Practice Forms and Commentary, by Alvin L. Arnold. KF568.1 .A772 (current through 2015). Also on Westlaw.
Subject-Specific Formbooks – Wills & Trusts
The Estate Planning collection is located on the Law Library Third Floor, Ranges 318.
- Drafting Wills and Trust Agreements, by Michael L.M. Jordan. KF748.1 .J66 (current through 2015).
- Drafting Wills and Trusts, by Lucy A. Marsh. KF755 .M37 2009.
- A Lawyer's Guide to Estate Planning: Fundamentals for the Legal Practitioner, by Rush Hunt. KF750 H85 2004.
- Make Your Own Living Trust, by Denis Clifford. REFERENCE KF734 .C58 2013.
- Quick and Legal Will Book, by Denis Clifford. REFERENCE KF755 .C55 2014.
- FindLaw Forms. Provides links to forms on FindLaw and to collections at other web sites.
- Legalzoom. Provides downloadable, customizable forms for a fee.
- US Legal Forms. Forms for a fee, organized by industry and type.
Last updated February 24, 2017