- Dictionary of Homeland Security and Defense, Margaret R. O'Leary. HV6432 .O42 REFERENCE.
- The Grey House Homeland Security Directory: Federal Agencies, State Agencies, Products & Services and Information Resources. HV6432 .G748 REFERENCE.
- Military Law in a Nutshell, Charles A. Shanor and L. Lynn Hogue. KF7210 .S52 2013 REFERENCE. Also available on West Study Aids (Mason Law users only).
- The Patriot Act: A Documentary and Reference Guide, Herbert N. Foerstel. KF 9430 .F64 REFERENCE.
- U.S. Government Counterterrorism: A Guide to Who Does What, Michael B. Kraft and Edward Marks. HV6432. K69 REFERENCE.
Treatises & Other Works
Some examples of treatises and other scholarly works follow. For more publications search the George Mason Library Catalog.
- Counter-Terrorism: International Law and Practice, Ana Maria Salinas De Frias, Katja LH Samuel, and Nigel D. White, eds. KZ7220 .S25.
- Foundations of Homeland Security: Law and Policy (2nd ed.), Martin J. Alperen. KF4850 .A947 2017.
- Guide to Homeland Security. Available on Westlaw (Mason Law users only).
- Homeland Security Law and Policy, William C. Nicholson, ed. HV6432 .H664.
- Homeland Security: Legal and Policy Issues, Joe D. Whitely & Lynne K. Zusman, eds. KF4850 .H65.
- Legal Issues in Homeland Security: U.S. Supreme Court Cases, Commentary and Questions, Terence P. Dwyer. KF 4850 .D89.
- The Long War: A New History of U.S. National Security Policy since World War II, Andrew J. Bacevich, ed. Available online.
- Military Criminal Justice: Practice and Procedure, David A. Schlueter. KF 7620 .S34 2012. Also available on Lexis (Mason Law users only).
- National Security Investigations & Prosecutions 2d, David S. Kris & J. Douglas Wilson. KF 4850 .K75. Also available on Westlaw (Mason Law users only).
- National Security Law & Policy, John Norton Moore, Guy B. Roberts, and Robert F. Turner, eds. KF4850 .N37 2015.
- National Security Law: Principles and Policy (Aspen Student Treatise Series), Geoffrey Corn, et al. KF4850 .C67 2015.
- National Security and the Legal Process, Philip D. O'Neill, Jr. KF4850 .O54.
- Principles of Counter-terrorism Law, Jimmy GuruÌe and Geoffrey S. Corn (Concise Hornbook Series). KF 5256 .G87 RESERVE. Also on West Academic.
- Terrorism and the Constitution: The Post 9/11 Cases, H. L. Pohlman. KF9430 .A53 P64.
- U.S. National Security Law: A Sourcebook of Cases, Laws, Treaties & Documents, Stuart S. Malawer, ed. KF4850 .U8 2009.
- World at Risk: A Global Issues Sourcebook. Available on CQ Library.
Documentary Collections and Reports
- Homeland Security: A Documentary History, Bruce Maxwell, ed. UA927 .H657.
- The Patriot Act: A Documentary and Reference Guide, Herbert N. Foerstel. REFERENCE KF9430 .F64.
- Terrorism: Documents of International and Local Control. HV6431 T464 (1979-2009). Multiple volumes of U.S. documents, including reports, executive orders, and court proceedings.
- The 9/11 Commission: Proceedings and Analysis, James R. Holbein (ed.). HV 6432.7 .N56. Also available at GovInfo.
- Harvard National Security Journal (Harvard Law School). Also available on Hein.
- Homeland Security Affairs: The Journal of the Center for Homeland Defense and Security (Center for Homeland Defense and Security).
- Journal of National Security Law & Policy (McGeorge School of Law). Also available online.
- National Security and Armed Conflict Law Review (University of Miami School of Law). Also available on Hein.
- National Security Law Brief (Washington College of Law). Also available on Hein.
- National Security Law Journal (Antonin Scalia Law School, George Mason University). Also available online.
Mason Law-Related Databases
- BNA Homeland Security Briefing - daily coverage of significant federal and state actions related to security and anti-terrorist policies. (Bloomberg login req’d).
- Homeland Security Emerging Issues (Available on Lexis to Mason Law users only)
- Oxford Scholarship Online - digital books from Oxford's legal treatise collection on a variety of topics, including armed conflicts, international relations, terrorism, and human rights law.
- Columbia International Affairs Online CIAO - Full text of more than 400 working papers, 40 conference proceedings, and 10 books annually, as well as abstracts from leading international relations research journals, brief reports, monthly statistics and maps from 1991 to present.
- Digital National Security Archive - collection of primary documents, including more than 55,000 important declassified documents regarding critical U.S. policy decisions. See also the Proquest Quick Start Guide to the DNSA.
- Jane's Terrorism and Insurgency Center - profiles of the world’s significant terrorist, guerrilla and insurgent groups.
- Homeland Security Digital Library - U.S. policy documents and specialized resources such as dissertations, reports, and position papers from universities, research institutions, think tanks, U.S. local and state agencies, and international organizations (2002-present).
- Military and Government Collection - news, periodicals, academic journals, country reports, and relevant government documents for all branches of the military (1965-present).
- PAIS International - articles, books, conference proceedings, government documents, book chapters, and statistical directories (1972-present).
- Policy File - public policy research on governmental topics (1990-present).
- Praeger Security International - information on terrorism and security, including regional security, humanitarian and peace operations, weapons of mass destruction, armed forces, intelligence, military history, defense and national security, and military affairs.
United States Government Websites
- U.S. Department of Defense
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Laws & Regulations
- U.S. Department of State
- National Counterintelligence and Security Center
- National Security Agency
- Office of the Director of National Intelligence
Additional Internet Resources
- American Bar Association
- Federation of American Scientists
- Homeland Security Digital Library
- Center for Infrastructure Protection and Homeland Security at the Antonin Scalia Law School, George Mason University
- 9/11 Commission Final Report (GovInfo)
- Federation of American Scientists
- Just Security
- Georgetown Center on National Security and the Law
Last Updated May 29, 2019