The 2019 first year class began their formal study of law at Orientation which started on August 17. The JD class consists of 139 students representing 27 states and the District of Columbia, and three different countries.
The incoming JD class has a median LSAT of 164 and a median undergraduate GPA of 3.76. Forty-five percent are female, while 55 percent are male. Virginia residents make up 29 percent of the class, while the remaining 71 percent come from outside the Commonwealth. The average age of the entering class is 25. In the first-year class, 123 students attend as day students and 16 attend as evening students. Among the first-year students, 14.2 percent hold advanced degrees, including three PhDs, 14 Masters or graduate degrees, and two professional degrees.
This fall we also welcome 18 new residential LLM students, lawyers and practitioners from Brazil, El Salvador, Ethiopia, India, Iraq, Israel, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, Paraguay, South Africa, the United Kingdom, the United States, and Vietnam.
Finally, five new students transferred in from other law schools, and our JM program admitted 14 new students.