Do you need a book or article that is not available at the George Mason University Law Library? Are you a member of the faculty, student body or staff of the Scalia Law School, George Mason University? If so, then this page has the resources that you need. Before requesting anything that is not owned by the law library, please review the following options.
Questions? If you encounter any problems or have questions about which service to use, stop by the Reference Office or call 703-993-8076.
There are two options for obtaining books and articles that are not available at the George Mason University Law Library. Please check for books and articles from each source in order:
- InterCampus and InterLibrary Lending Services for materials available at other George Mason libraries or nonconsortium libraries
- Consortium Loan Service for materials owned by the Washington Research Library Consortium
Use this service to obtain books and articles from other George Mason University libraries (Fenwick, Johnson Center, Prince William; books available at the Arlington Campus may be obtained directly) and for obtaining books and articles not available from any George Mason or consortium libraries.
To make a request:
- Go to https://gmu.illiad.oclc.org/illiad/VGL/logon.html
- Log in using your Mason login name (firstname.lastname@example.org would enter bsmith as a username) and your Mason email password.
- Create an ILLiad account.
- Select the type of request (article, book, or book chapter) you would like to make from the options on the left and fill out the form.
- Once received, article and book chapter requests will be delivered electronically to your ILLiad account. Faculty book requests will be placed in the appropriate mailbox. Student and staff book requests will be held at the Law Library Circulation Desk for pick-up. All patrons will be notified by e-mail when books arrive and when articles are ready for download.
Turnaround time for ICL requests is usually 2-3 days. Turnaround for ILL requests is usually 5-7 days. There are no guarantees, however, so it is recommended that requests be made as far in advance as possible.
If you encounter any problems with the ICL or ILL request process or have questions or comments, please contact the Law Library Library Circulation Desk at 703-993-8120.
Use this method for obtaining books from other academic libraries in the Washington, D.C. area. Please note, books will be delivered to the Arlington Campus Library which is located on the second floor of Founders Hall. This service is provided by the Washington Research Library Consortium (WRLC). Turnaround time is usually 2-3 days.
What can be requested from WRLC?
- Circulation items that are not checked out
- Photocopies of articles not exceeding 50 pages (delivered electronically or in print)
What cannot be requested from WRLC?
- Items from the Law Libraries at American University and Georgetown University
- Reserve items
- Reference items
- Special collection items
- Media items (DVDs, CDs, etc.)
How do I request something from WRLC?
- Search for the needed item in the WRLC (ALADIN) catalog.
- Click on the link for the needed item.
- From the detailed item record, click on the Request button at the top of your screen.
- When prompted, enter your G number and last name.
- Fill in the form, being sure to specify the pick up location as George Mason-Arlington.
- Click on the Submit Request button at the bottom of the form.
If you encounter any problems with the WRLC request process or have questions or comments, please contact the Arlington Campus Library Circulation Desk at 703-993-8188.