The Law Library is open to all George Mason University students, faculty, and staff. All members of the Mason community must show a valid GMU ID to be admitted to the Law Library, and all IDs will be checked at the Circulation Desk.
George Mason University alumni and members of the bar may use the library under the following conditions:
- Alumni and attorneys must sign-in at the Circulation Desk and present a current government-issued photo identification card to the Circulation staff;
- The status of alumni and attorneys must be verified by Circulation staff ;
- Alumni and attorneys must also sign-up for the daily Mason COVID Health Check and present a "green pass" to the Circulation staff.
We strongly urge attorneys and alumni to contact email@example.com before you visit to ensure that we have the materials you need.
The library is not open to the general public. The library has created the following guide to help members of the public with legal assistance: Legal Assistance to the Public. In addition, a number of other libraries in the area have legal research materials (both print and online) and are open to the general public. A list of Local Law Libraries that are open to the general public is available on this website and at the Circulation Desk.
Law Library Policies Due to COVID-19
The Law Library expects the following from all patrons so that the Law Library is safe for all.
- Members of the Mason community should carry your GMU ID with you. Mason alumni and attorneys should carry government-issued photo ID.
- Everyone must wear a face mask at all times. For more information, see the university's announcement on Face Coverings.
- Complete the Mason COVID Health Check every day. You may be asked by anyone on campus at any time to show your health check status.
- Furniture may not be moved or re-arranged.
- Study rooms are available to Scalia Law students only. Students may reserve a room using the library's Online Study Room Reservation system.
- Fourth Floor seating and the Computer Lab are limited to Scalia Law students.
- Do NOT consume food in the library.
- Drinks are permitted only in containers with lids.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water.
- Hand sanitizer stations are located near the elevators in the library.
- Email any concerns about the Law Library environment to Melanie Knapp.
See the University's Health and Safety Protocols for additional information.
Free Legal Resources Available on the Web
The Law Library maintains a very comprehensive and current list of online legal materials: Free Legal Research Sites.
Reference Librarians are available to assist patrons with finding materials in the Law Library. Please note that although the reference librarians will assist users who need information, a reference librarian will not research or interpret the law for any patron. For current library and reference hours, see Law Library Hours.
Copying and printing services for the university are provided by Canon. The cost is ten cents per page. The Circulation Desk provides blank copy cards for use with the copier/printers for patrons who do not have access to a card vendor or GMU ID card. Value must be added to the copy card with a credit card using Mason Money Online which can be accessed from the library's public computers. Note: some databases such an Nexis Uni allow users to email documents or download to a USB drive.
Other Local Libraries
The library maintains a list of nearby law libraries, including courthouse libraries. Many provide public access to their collections, including online legal databases: Local Libraries.