Access to the Law Library
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, library seating will be greatly reduced during the Fall Semester 2020. For this reason, only persons with a valid GMU ID will be admitted to the Law Library, and all IDs will be checked at the Circulation Desk. The Law Library is an academic research center that supports the research and teaching needs of the faculty and students of the Scalia Law School. All users agree to abide by the Law Library's policies and regulations (see below).
Rules and Regulations
The Law Library expects the following from all patrons so that the library is safe for all.
- Please carry your GMU ID with you.
- Face coverings are required at all times in the library.
- Furniture may not be moved or re-arranged. Most tables and carrels are available for one person.
- Study rooms will be checked out for single occupancy use.
- Do not study or congregate in groups in the library.
- Step into a stairwell or the Atrium for telephone calls. Keep your mask on!
- Choose the stairs over the elevator, if you are physically able to do so.
- Do NOT consume food in the library.
- Drinks are permitted only in containers with lids. Re-apply your facemask after taking a drink.
- Wait until a restroom is empty before entering to use it.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water.
- Hand sanitizer stations are located near the elevators in the library. Consider bringing your own hand-sanitizer and sanitizing wipes to keep your study space clean.
- Repeat violators will be reported to the University's Office of Student Conduct.
- Email any concerns about the Law Library environment to Melanie Knapp.
See the University's Health and Safety Protocols for additional information.
During the Fall Semester 2020, the Law Library's regular hours beginning Monday, August 24 are:
Monday - Thursday: 9:00 AM to 8:30 PM
Friday: 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM
Saturday: 1:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Sunday: 1:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Special hours for holidays will be posted at the entrance to the library and on the web.
The Law Library is an academic research library with the goal of having legal research materials available for use within the library. In order to provide full access to the collection and to prevent the loss of books, most library materials do not circulate outside of the library. See Patron Check-Out Privileges for a complete list of patron categories, check-out policies, and loan periods. Scalia Law School students interested in working at the circulation desk should review the page for Student Employment Opportunities in the George Mason University Law Library.
Reference Librarians are available to assist students, faculty, and other Mason patrons with finding and using materials in the law library. Please note that although the reference librarians are happy to assist users who need information, a reference librarian will not research or interpret the law for any patron. During the fall semester 2020, Law library reference and research assistance will be available by e-mail (email@example.com), voicemail with callback (703-993-8076), and virtual meetings using WebEx. For reference hours, see Law Library Hours.
Borrowing Books from Other Libraries
Loans are arranged for Scalia Law School students and faculty only. Other library patrons should contact their home institution or local public library for ILL services. For more information, see our page on Borrowing Materials from Other Libraries.
Lexis and Westlaw
Lexis and Westlaw are provided to the law school through a special educational contract. Use is limited to George Mason University law students and law faculty doing research for educational purposes.