- Established 1972 as the International School of Law in Washington, D.C.; merged with George Mason University in 1979 to become George Mason University School of Law
- In July 2016, the school was renamed the Antonin Scalia Law School.
- Occupies the 150,000 square-foot Hazel Hall, opened in 1999.
- Accredited by the American Bar Association (ABA)
- Member of the American Association of Law Schools (AALS)
- Host to research programs and centers:
- Total JD student enrollment: 497 (381 full time; 16 part time)
- Day and evening programs offered
- 2019-2020 full-time student tuition:
- In-State: $25,354
- Out-of-State: $40,740
Faculty and Curriculum
- Scalia Law faculty ranks 19th for scholarly impact in the 2018 study by Gregory Sisk, et al., Scholarly Impact of Law School Faculties in 2018: Updating the Leiter Score Ranking for the Top Third.
- Faculty/student ratio: 1:11.8
- Full-time faculty: 44; Part-time faculty: 157
- Innovative and demanding curriculum emphasizes the role of economic analysis in law (Economics for Lawyers is a required first-year course), as well as legal writing skills and substantive preparation for practice
- Specialty concentrations offered in: Antitrust Law, Communications Law, Corporate and Securities Law, Criminal Law, Immigration Law, Cyber Law Concentration, Financial Services Regulation Law, Immigration Law, Intellectual Property Law, International Business Law, Legal and Economic Theory, Litigation Law, National Security Law & Policy, Personal Law, Public Interest Litigation & Advocacy, Regulatory Law, Sports Law, and Tax Law.
- Number of student-edited professional journals and law reviews: 5
- Opportunities for real world experiences in domestic relations, law and mental illness, patent law, regulatory law, and a variety of Virginia practice areas through our clinical programs
- Number of student organizations: 40
- Moot Court Board and Trial Advocacy Association host numerous competitions throughout the year and send teams out to compete in regional, national, and international competitions.
Degrees and Admissions
- Degrees awarded: Juris Doctor (JD); Master of Law (LLM); Juris Master (JM)
- Joint degrees awarded: Dual Degree in Law and Business and Joint Degree in Law & Public Policy
- Applicant pool represents 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and 64 foreign nations
Profile of the Fall 2019 JD Entering Class
- Entering class size: 139 (123 full-time; 16 part-time)
- Entering class median LSAT: 164
- Entering class median undergraduate GPA: 3.76
- Entering class residency: 29% Virginia residents, 71% out-of-state
- Entering class makeup: 45% female, 55% male
- Entering students graduate degrees: 14.2%
Alumni and Careers
Scalia Law graduates can be found in 49 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and at least 19 foreign nations. For the most up-to-date employment information, see Graduate Employment Statistics.